X12 - Copy and Paste In Place

Dermot

The Copy and Paste in Place tool has been changed for X12.  The Copy and Paste in Place tool that appeared on your main Edit toolbar in X11 has been removed and replaced by the Paste Hold Position tool that will now appear on the copy sub-mode toolbar.  Simply hit the Copy/Paste tool and then hit the Paste Hold Position tool to get the same behavior in X12.  The new method changes this to a two step process but makes it harder for people to accidentally make duplicate objects right on top of each other.

There are a number of other ways to make a duplicate of an object:

1.  You can use hotkeys to copy (Ctrl+C) and then paste hold position (Ctrl+Alt+V).

2.  You can find the Copy and Paste In Place tool in the main Edit menu.

3.  You can customize your toolbars and/or hotkeys to use the Copy and Paste in Place tool.

4.  You can use the drag/copy method.  Select an object, hit the Copy/Paste tool, drag the new copy out using the center handle on the object.

5.  You can use the Transform/Replicate Object dialog to make one or more copies that are in the same location as the original object.

In my opinion, the drag/copy method is the best choice to use when you want to make a copy of an object and don't actually want it in the same location.  Creating duplicate architectural objects in the same location is a good way to confuse the program and cause problems.  Especially with architectural objects like cabinets, windows, doors, electrical object, and walls.

The picture below shows copy sub-mode toolbar and the drag/copy handle which will both appear when you use the Copy/Paste tool:

paste in place.png

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Dermot said:

In my opinion, the drag/copy method is the best choice to use

Thank you, that seems to be the best solution and I like that.

(I had not seen any posts on X12 yet, so did not start a new thread)

16 minutes ago, Dermot said:

It has the added advantage of allowing you to keep the copy aligned with the original object by default.  

I find this very useful for plans on a layout.  If the first and second floor are on the same sheet, it is the easiest way for me to make sure the walls are aligned visually across the page, copy slide and change the saved view!

On 1/20/2020 at 3:34 PM, Dermot said:

copy (Ctrl+C) and then paste hold position (Ctrl+Alt+V).

This is what I've done and used for so many years. I'll continue. Glad it will still work. Started my first plan yesterday in X12 which will have a little bit of everything. I pray it goes well. So far so good.

On 1/22/2020 at 4:08 AM, Archnot-Boltz said:

Thanks Dermot, I was having a conniption seeing that tool absent from my copy toolbar and no place to drag the icon. I didn't see any mention of this feature improvement/change in the "What's New Video".-

bB

You can still add it back if you prefer the Icon , you can even make a Custom Copy Toolbar , with CUT and paste Hold etc etc included.

M.

image.thumb.png.d18b67418324703a55401c67e1851ebc.png

4 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

You can still add it back if you prefer the Icon , you can even make a Custom Copy Toolbar , with CUT and paste Hold etc etc included.

M.

image.thumb.png.d18b67418324703a55401c67e1851ebc.png

No, I'm ok since finding the new icon and way that it works. I did locate the old Icon when I went into my customize tool bars, but couldn't figure out how to drag it into the bottom tool bar area.

48 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

I believe you can only make a custom toolbar and add it to that or an existing one. You can then dock it at the bottom as Mick has done above. You can't add tools to the CA "edit toolbar" as far as I know.

Yes, as I found out when I tried it. No big, as I'm fine with the new tool and icon etc. thanks bB

Very helpful thread.  I've spent the last few days using X12 and actually added the button back to my toolbar, but now that I understand the new function I like it better.  I watched the video on new features and either missed this or it was not included.  That makes me wonder if there are other things that have moved or changed that I am not seeing.  We used to see a detailed list, does that exist anywhere yet?

While the new way is fine and acceptable, my frustration is where the button is placed 'spatially'.  I, like most of us, work on Chief, 8+ hours a day designing...lots, and lots of muscle memory on icon location...the new paste Hold is placed right where the 'point to point' used to be, and so when I need point to point, I inadvertently click the new paste hold position...and likewise for the reflect moving down another slot...while I'll adjust, it is a frustrating adjustment...would rather have it moved down after those items which I use way more then the paste hold.  I think this is a 'miss' on the design.   OR give us control over the customization of these sub icons.