Giving away an older version of CA

Electromen

No, your license agreement clearly states that the use of any version of Chief Architect belongs not to you but to Chief Architect Inc. You and only you are licensed to own and use any version of Chief Architect. I suppose your friend can use a seat of your older chief but not as its owner, it would be purely a loan and would not include any support of any kind or type.

DJP

If someone else profits from the use of a pirated or gifted version of the software or even saves some money by designing their own home it just drives profitability down for each of us and will eventually result in higher software prices or fewer updates and new features.  It seems like a nice thing to do but there are reasons for not doing it.:)

• Upvote 2

I don't think you can legally as , like Ridge_Runner ( Mike) said above, you are using an upgraded version now , you can check that in your digital locker by clicking the Show Upgraded Version Box at the top.

image.thumb.png.5a53f7666a5c624f583c141d68b9d379.png

If the person just wants to "play" in 3D I'd suggest one of the Home Designer Products eg, Pro or Architectural depending on their needs and budget.

M.

44 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I don't think you can legally as , like Ridge_Runner ( Mike) said above, you are using an upgraded version now , you can check that in your digital locker by clicking the Show Upgraded Version Box at the top.

image.thumb.png.5a53f7666a5c624f583c141d68b9d379.png

If the person just wants to "play" in 3D I'd suggest one of the Home Designer Products eg, Pro or Architectural depending on their needs and budget.

M.

Thanks, I think he's going to buy Home Designer Pro

20 minutes ago, Electromen said:

Thanks, I think he's going to buy Home Designer Pro

Pro is very capable , and with the current version he'll be able to share Files with you..... you will need to set the Plan to be editable in Home Designer on your end when you save it to send back though.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00516/sharing-a-plan-file-with-a-home-designer-user.html

A lot of people first start out with pirated copies of software.

When the software has proven itself useful and contributes to that person's business, then paying for a licensed copy usually follows.

I'm surprised at some of the comments in this thread.

If OP gives that copy to his close friend and because of that his friend eventually ends up buying a licensed copy with SSA then Chief wins in the long run.

I don't see the harm in that.

Most software companies not only know that but it's what drives a percentage of their business and keeps them on their toes.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

I appear to have offended the elite guard of this forum. 
That’s ok, I was just voicing my opinion. 
I understand that some would find my comment less than honourable but it is the reality of the matter.
I’ve been a paying customer for 6 or 7 years with SSA to boot. 

I encourage any use of Chief as opposed to no use of Chief. 

• 1 year later...

Besides everything you said is an absolute lie. Thanks for encouraging piracy:  We all have paid for SSA  for years Here  is a fact you should consider: 

Illegality. Using or distributing pirated software constitutes a violation of software copyright law. Companies and individuals face up to $150,000 in penalties for every instance. They've also committed a felony that can lead to up to five years in prison.

Many software creators provide buyers or users of their software with a number of licenses. The license may be for one computer, two, or ten; it all depends on the company’s decisions.

Now, as a licensed user, you are permitted to make copies of your purchased software. But only as backups. This is to ensure that you don’t have to purchase it again in the event that you delete the software, or your machine gets stolen or damaged.

Copying the software and sharing it with other people for free is considered as an act of copyright violation.

Many software companies have tried stopping software piracy. In fact, they once copy-protected software in order to stop the illegal copying of software. But this proved to be ineffective and many users complained that it wasn’t convenient for them. Selling Pirated software is extremely felonious 

Most software companies now require that every potential user registers with them at the time of purchasing the software. This is in a bid to help them clamp down on piracy. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 8 months later...

Hey guys l am looking for an old school version 10 of Chief Architect that l can run on Windows XP .... please help , l am very serious about this my email sugardad9184@netzero.com or call me directly at 228-493-9184.    HELP.                  

HELP....

6 hours ago, ChiefUserfeb said:

Hey guys l am looking for an old school version 10 of Chief Architect that l can run on Windows XP .... please help , l am very serious about this my email sugardad9184@netzero.com or call me directly at 228-493-9184.    HELP.                  

HELP....

I called him and am helping him.

DJP

• 4 months later...