Importing DWG detail files

Treehouse2339

I have a company I joined called AGS which has CAD details for downloading.  The issue is that When I import the file, The text will not show up on my plan, just the drawing.  I am not sure if it is on their end or mine.  I have made sure that the box for text is checked.  Anyone have any insite or maybe a better site for CAD details?

1 hour ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Check the text layer color. It may be the same color as your screen background; just change it to a different color if that is the problem. OtherCad programs are notorious for this.

So very true. Many times if I feel something is missing, I'll change Chief's background to black and see if something is white.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tommy1 said:

I'll change Chief's background to black and see if something is white.

I too find Text is often White or a Pale Yellow and hard to see in Chief , so I switch chief to a Dark grey background to check ....

9 minutes ago, Treehouse2339 said:

Changing background color doesn't seem to work.  I also checked to make sure text is turned on.  I attached a screen shot of how it should look and the dwg file if anyone wants to try.

Annotation 2020-01-17 174832.jpg

water_heater_seismic_reinforcing.dwg

The TEXT is not necessarily on Chief's TEXT layer , it will have imported I assume using whatever name was used in the DWG by the AutoCad User, as a trouble shooting step turn the All ON Layerset on and see if it is there...... select it if so, and then in the ALDO check it's true Layer to use.

***EDIT : TEXT Layer maybe called 07TEXT in this DWG....

Mick.

22 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

The TEXT is not necessarily on Chief's TEXT layer , it will have imported I assume using whatever name was used in the DWG by the AutoCad User, as a trouble shooting step turn the All ON Layerset on and see if it is there...... select it if so, and then in the ALDO check it's true Layer to use.

***EDIT : TEXT Layer maybe called 07TEXT in this DWG....

It appears Chief is not Importing the 07Text Layer from the DWG properly as Chief indicates the layer is not used in Chief ( no red + in ALDO), that layer is what most of the Text is on.....what we see is on the 08Dims layer ie 4" +/- etc.....

*** Opened DWG in Draftsight and the Text is in the DWG and is on 07Text

M.

The reason I say to check your CAD Blocks is that the items you're "missing" were imported as a sort of disconnected CAD Block.  It looks like those text notes were added in paper space (essentially AutoCAD's version of Layout) and as such they're not actually part of the drawing itself.  You can however resize and reposition but you'll have some cleanup to do with the way text was formatted during the import.   

Very strange way to do things , 1st time I have seen things done that way , so didn't think to look at CAD Block Management , thanks for the Tip.

If you Insert the *paperspace CAD Block most of the Text and Arrow are there ..... but If I was paying for access to a CAD Detail Website I'd be talking to them as well, since it it going to add a bunch of work as the "block" is tennie tiny in CA.

image.thumb.png.4fef931a563d0bc31c57290a173db70e.png

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

1st time I have seen things done that way

It's really not all that uncommon, and (just like in Chief), I think it's typically bad practice.  I only discovered this recently myself, but it seems paper space information is always imported as a CAD block like that.

NOTE:  It's only the first page of paper space information that gets imported.

Oh, and by the way, Quick Tip...

If you open CAD Block Management and click Okay without actually Inserting the "*Paper_Space" CAD block while Automatically Purge Unused CAD Blocks is checked, then you will lose it.  You can always Undo to get it back, but I commonly make the mistake of hitting Okay instead of Insert so figured I'd throw that out there.

Opening in CAD some of the text is in paper Space & will not import.

Attached is a CAD I modified with all the text moved to model space.

In CAD use the command Chspace while in pape space & you can move it back o Model Space.

water_heater_seismic_reinforcing Modelspace.dwg

Edited by ACADuser
I mistakenly said paper & meant model

6 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

It's really not all that uncommon, and (just like in Chief), I think it's typically bad practice.  I only discovered this recently myself, but it seems paper-space information is always imported as a CAD block like that.

Often done that way when you use the model space objects in multiple layouts with different text.

I did not see any reason to do it with the sampple provided.

That is up to the creator what techniques they use.

Personally I don't like Paperspace Text.

I do all my work in model space & I want to be able to read the text & position it in model space.

Just saying some use Paperspace to annotate (Chief's Layout space if you are doing it in Chief)

19 hours ago, ACADuser said:

Opening in CAD some of the text is in paper Space & will not import.

Attached is a CAD I modified with all the text moved to paper space.

In CAD use the command Chspace while in pape space & you can move it back o Model Space.

water_heater_seismic_reinforcing Modelspace.dwg

Thanks for the Info Alan , that works to my surprise ...... since I thought Chief couldn't Import from the Modelspace?

(*** for those read this thread in the future .....it can and does only import from the ModelSpace see page 1194 of the Ref. Manual

or the link to the KB Article on DWG Import Troubleshooting 3 posts down.) 

Mick.

13 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

since I thought Chief couldn't Import from the Modelspace?

Chief only imports from model space.  It's paper space that looks like it never gets imported.  It usually does though (at least the first page)...just as a CAD Block and only as a CAD Block (not placed in the plan).  It's a sort of unique use that Chief has built in.

Chief only imports from model space.  It's paper space that looks like it never gets imported.  It usually does though...just as a CAD Block and only as a CAD Block (not placed in the plan).  It's a sort of unique use that Chief has built in.

KB Article on DWG Importing Issues:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00283/troubleshooting-dwg-dxf-file-import-issues.html

*** for those read this thread in the future .....it only imports from the ModelSpace ...also see page 1194 of the Ref. Manual

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Yes seems I had that backwards some how was just reading this KB article....

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00283/troubleshooting-dwg-dxf-file-import-issues.html

Thanks Mick.  Never read that article before.  I added a note to one of my posts above to clarify that its only the first page of paper space that gets imported.