Does revit have a 360 like ca?

dskogg

15 minutes ago, dskogg said:

I use 360’s all the time.. seems like all the schools are teaching revit..

does revit have a 360?

it would be an advantage for us against other designers using revit...

Revit has plugins, it can arguably produce better visuals in every regard, thank goodness for CA's .3DS exporting capability

Rene.. I wonder how many Ca folks use the 360’s.. I’ve never seen any client speak about a revit model..

maybe it’s not as easy..
I did a render for a builder for real estate listing and the plans were done using revit I think..

why wouldn’t the original design firm be able to do what I did?

28 minutes ago, dskogg said:

Rene.. I wonder how many Ca folks use the 360’s.. I’ve never seen any client speak about a revit model..

maybe it’s not as easy..
I did a render for a builder for real estate listing and the plans were done using revit I think..

why wouldn’t the original design firm be able to do what I did?

Not that they couldn't, just not much value in it for them, they've already sold the job after-all.

Most people who contract with me for renderings take a hard look at the hours they've invested in creating renderings and they realize I charge less than what their hours amount to and with better results. When PBR was released, decent looking visuals were in arms grasp, but it takes a special character to say enough is enough when it comes to plugging in the hours. When people take a look at their historical data they may find that they spent 24 hours on their last project to produce 2 renderings at a company billing rate of $100/hr, yet I would've charged them $1,000 for a better looking set of images.

I've been getting a lot of these calls this year alone as people took a hard look at the financials in Dec and see an increase in design administration cost.

That being said, I focus on several major points as a rendering artist.

• Scalability-Can I spend the same number of hours per sq ft, or room, to produce the same level of product every time.
  • Necessity-Are high end renderings necessary to sell a product
  • Audience-Is my client a visual person, can they already visualize a design with lesser mediums.
  • Marketability-Is this design something that can become marketable material, promotions etc.
  • Value-How many hours will be necessary to convey the design. Does the size and overall cost of the project warrant the number of hours and cost of the rendering.
  • Economics of Scale- I often times find myself convincing clients to increase their scope, it helps to know a good broker/lender and what projects will lend themselves to financial lending success in the future. Lets skip your kitchen remodel, do the addition first, refinance after the addition and we will design for both now and I will provide renderings. Or...ask your builder for multiple renderings projects to be done at one time.
  • References-Why do anything if you never produce more work. Will your client give out referals, can you call on them later. Will the extra hours you put into a rendering be the tipping scale for a reference, or are you working with an NDA and you'll be lucky if you are ever called again.

Truth of the matter is I only barely compete with rendering companies oversees...it just comes down to value. Keep tabs on yourself, track everything. Renderings take you longer than you may think, and are you getting paid for that?

Rene, really good comments, I think clients like dealing with more local designers... but I agree overseas rendering companies are aggressive.

But I think most clients are reluctant to contact these firms..

but money talks.. 

i know you said revit has advantage over ca on some things.. to me the speed and quality I can get out of a pbr 360 is good value for time spent .. 

anyways always like to hear your comments as you certainly have your stick on the ice.

Chief has a very narrow niche market - single user, residential stick framing, English only North American. In that regard no other program compares to Chief’s out of the box ability to go from plan to 3D renderings and construction documents. 

But, if you move away from traditional stick framing and need collaboration then Chief’s wheels fall off the cart. Actually Chief blows up at that point. 

(my 2 cents, of course)

• Upvote 1