Materials and colors for cabinets

KatherineD

Hi

I am having trouble.

I go to my library browser and choose a counter top material, then when it is applied to the counter it does change the color, but to just a solid, rather than the material I just chose. No pattern.

Also, when I try to use the roller to color my cabinets, in order to get a stain affect, it just comes out solid. 

Is there something in my default settings that I need to adjust?

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, solver said:

Welcome

It's helpful to know what software you are using as it changes from version to version.

It helps others to have this info in your signature so it's always available. Please see this topic for a signature how to.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/18908-signature-here-at-chief-talk

I absolutely do not understand Textures & Patterns. Is it in one of the videos? I'm having the same problem with the backsplash, in that it is just a solid color, rather than the pattern I chose.

Hi Katherine Welcome to the forum.  Looks like you are newer.  It really helps as mentioned above to include your software version and some basic info on your hardware in your signature line as it will get you more help when the guys can see that info and not have to ask for it.  There are some amazingly talented guys on here who are super generous with their time but it is also limited so if they are browsing through and trying to help people lots of times they do not have the time to ask, what software version do you have, what is your video card, etc., etc.  

That all being said sounds like your in a rendering mode with textures that don't work in that mode (such as vector view) if so try changing to standard or PBR view first.  Otherwise you may have your textures toggled off.  In the same button where there is the cross section slider, toggle shadows there is also a toggle textures on and off button.  Try that.

Hope it helps.

I tried some of the tips and online information about this topic. I was able to create a pattern for the back splash, but the texture and color of the material does not come through. Same with the counter top and the cabinets, and all the other materials. It looks like a cartoon, which is what we were trying to get away from, when we decided to try this program

demo pic.jpg

You are using a vector view for your rendering technique.  Vector views will only show solid material colors with line patterns on top of them.  If you want to see a more photo-realistic view, you should use  either the standard or physically based (PBR) rendering technique which will show textures on your materials.

Here is a video on rendering techniques:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/6150/rendering-techniques.html?playlist=102

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, KatherineD said:

I tried some of the tips and online information about this topic. I was able to create a pattern for the back splash, but the texture and color of the material does not come through. Same with the counter top and the cabinets, and all the other materials. It looks like a cartoon, which is what we were trying to get away from, when we decided to try this program

demo pic.jpg

Use the Cameras on the Perspective Cameras Menu/Icon which use the Standard Camera, not the Orthographic Cameras  Menu which Use Vector View by default.

Once in Standard View you can also switch the Render Type to Physical Based Rendering (PBR for short.)

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/2426/

M.