Fixture Label Display Layer

jmsisco

When I use an exterior fixture from the library like an HVAC compressor, that fixture is on the exterior fixtures layer but it's label is on the fixtures layer.  Is there any way to change the label on the exterior fixtures so it displays on the exterior fixtures layer?  Currently I am labeling it with text and creating an exterior fixture text layer.

22 minutes ago, jmsisco said:

When I use an exterior fixture from the library like an HVAC compressor, that fixture is on the exterior fixtures layer but it's label is on the fixtures layer.  Is there any way to change the label on the exterior fixtures so it displays on the exterior fixtures layer?  Currently I am labeling it with text and creating an exterior fixture text layer.

Select the item, open the DBX on the Layer or Line-style tab change the layer to the one you want it on.  If you don't have a specific layer try pressing define, copying the current layer naming it and setting it how you want it to appear then you will be able to turn on and off the layer.

There are some great videos on using layers in the KB.

19 hours ago, jmsisco said:

As far as I know, currently we are unable to specify layers for labels. 

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

As far as I know, currently we are unable to specify layers for labels. 

This is correct.  We can however use custom macros to suppress labels in any given layer set AND we can also use the reference display in sneaky ways to change label display on an object by object basis. 

Just now, Alaskan_Son said:

This is correct.  We can however use custom macros to suppress labels in any given layer set AND we can also use the reference display in sneaky ways to change label display on an object by object basis. 

An idiot like myself is just gonna type what I need! For example, mechanical room equipment labels, I just typed them out and made a block of the text and saved to my library of text items. Why...Because I don't want every other fixture on a basement plan to have its label on. Sure it doesn't use the program's ultimate capabilities, but it's dead simple.

Each user needs to decide what works for them, but it seems like label layer capability would be a welcome addition to the feature list.

• 7 months later...

I found a workaround. You can change the label layer by changing the Symbol Category. Select the object, Select 'Convert to Symbol', and change the 'Symbol Category' to a category that your aren't already using. Geometric shapes and Sprinklers are my go tos.

image.thumb.png.d0600d9941b7a92bdb0140626fd24e01.png