Changing heights of Retaining Walls

KirkHodgson

I'm looking to make my retaing wall larger than the terrain heights.

In the instructions in this page, https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00652/changing-the-height-of-a-retaining-wall.html

I did all the steps, but the last point. In section/elevation, when I try to click the retaining walls, nothing happens. I don't get boxes or any selection at all.

What is happening that I can't make this selection?

I want to make my wall 6" above the grade/terrain elevation, and I want to drop the foundation of the wall by 24". How do I do this?

Please assist.

Thank you.

Section-Screen-Shot with Mark-up.JPG

8 minutes ago, KirkHodgson said:

I want to make my wall 6" above the grade/terrain elevation, and I want to drop the foundation of the wall by 24". How do I do this?

Please assist.

Thank you.

Section-Screen-Shot with Mark-up.JPG

Kirk, I don't see the software version you're using in your signature, but if you would just go to your profile and left click and go to settings, then in the lower left of the screen a menu will open scroll down to signature and update it.   Also it is a good idea to include your hardware info and post your plan, so the responders wont' have to guess at a fix.  TO post the plan be sure to close and save it. Then add the file by dragging into the response or by choosing the file from your saved plans. You might open your layer set that has the wall on it and make sure you don't have terrain features or retaining walls locked.

I don't have the answer off-hand. IF it is not locked on a layer (which we wouldn't know) without having the plan file to open and look at the RW to see if we get the same results you're getting, by not being able to select the wall?  I've done a few retaining walls and haven't had any issue with them. I'm sure one of the real guru's will chime in shortly, Steve Nestor might even make a video to help? 

59 minutes ago, glennw said:

you need to select the wall in elevation - not cross section.

Pretty sure Glenn is right    ie you need to be facing the wall in an elevation camera, not cutting a cross Section through it.

M.

When possible,I try not to use Retaining Walls.

If you have any slope in the terrain, the retaining wall top will follow the terrain and you can end up with a multitude of break points along the top of the wall, which are hard to shape.

I always try and use a Terrain Break to shape the terrain and then place a normal wall on which I can control the breaks in the top more easily.

In your case, if you have a simple terrain, there may not be a problem.