Copy and Paste Custom Floor Trusses from one floor to another

JohnPoulson

I have framed a very large floor structure using modified floor trusses (extra verticals, 2x4 ribbon, etc.) and to keep from spending the time to modify the floor structure on the floor above, I want to copy and paste it to the upper floor.  I've tried several approaches with limited success.  Here is what I did.

1. Without generating any floor framing on the upper floor, I isolated the floor structure on the lower floor, did an edit area copy and pasted Hold Position on the upper floor.  In plan view, I now had the floor trusses on the upper floor, but no floor trusses visible in camera view so, I undid the paste.
  2. This time I did a window select on only the lower level floor trusses, copied and again pasted Hold Position on the upper floor.  In plan view, I now had the floor trusses on the upper floor, but no floor trusses visible in camera view and did not undo the paste.
  3. This time I did a window select on only the lower level floor trusses, copied and pasted to an area outside the building envelope, still on the lower floor and pasted.  I now had both plan view and camera view visible on the lower floor.
  4. In camera view I captured all of the floor trusses, moved them the known elevation of the upper floor, then did a point to point move to the correct x,y position on the upper floor.  I now had plan view floor trusses visible on both floors and visually on both floors in camera view.  BUT, by re-positioning the camera view trusses, I now have 2 layers of floor trusses occupying the same space on the lower level in plan view.  Visually everything looks good, but my material count (which is one of the main reasons I went through this exercise) is now doubled for the lower level floor structure.

Now, back to the real question.  Is there a way to copy floor trusses/framing from one floor to another and have it visible in both plan view and camera view.  I would think I could just re-code the pasted copies of the floor trusses on the lower level to the upper level and I would be good to go, but I'm not sure if that can be done.  I've checked everywhere and cannot find a solution.  Maybe I used the wrong terms in my searches, but so far I've found nothing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

John

UPDATE!!!

I just figured a way to accomplish this.  If I capture all the floor trusses, framing, etc. and create a CAD Block, it can be inserted on the upper level and exploded.  Floor trusses, framing, etc are then visible in both plan view and camera view on both floors.

Again, if anyone has any additional input, I'm always looking for knowledge.

Thanks

• Upvote 2

Hey Eric,

Thanks for the reply.  I kinda did the same thing in a round about way and it worked the 1st time using a sample file, but wouldn't on my model, thus the UPDATE to my post.  I tried it again using your guidelines and worked perfect.

Thanks,

John