How to show SLAB sq ft

blueriver

11 minutes ago, blueriver said:

Id like to show the overall living (already displayed) then below it overall slab sq ft and overall porch sq ft.  I did the individual rooms but i'd like to display the totals instead.

Is your slab a room ?  Or could it be temporarily defined as one ?

Areas.JPG

Why not make a text schedule of exactly what you need and then if it is something you find you will be using all the time then you can invest in having someone automate it for you.  Then you will have the example of what is required.

The only solution that I know of is to use Michaels (Alaskan Son) area macros or Joe Carrick's package.

This by the way is required for EVERY SET OF PLANS I do.  I need a breakdown of Garage Areas,  Heated Areas, Porch areas,  sidewalk area etc.

I would of thought this capability would of been baked into CA but it is not.  I suppose the benefit of this is the two aforementioned guys came up with two different methods to solve the same need.

This was the response from Technical Support, note i replied back that i was very surprised a software this nice and expensive didn't have this included, and i hope it will be added via an update at some point.  Thank you Eric, i will look into Ruby.  Thank you Dshall, i will look into both you mentioned, i also need this for every home i do and will definitely need a better solution than adding each room up individually with a calculator.

"Unfortunately, these are not included in our program. A few workarounds would be to use CAD boxes/polylines to outline the area you want to calculate the square footage of and then when you open the CAD box/polyline it'll give you the area. If there are some that are disconnected, you'll just have to manually add them together and use a text box to show that square foot number of it all added up. The article below will show you all the ways we can calculate square footage.

Changing how Square Footage is Calculated: https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00424/changing-how-square-footage-is-calculated.html

"

• 4 months later...

I'm sure there's a jillion cool reasons it's nice to have the areas automatically calculated using Ruby etc., but if you're not using all the automatic setups and just need the numbers, create a new layer and call it Plan Area or something like that and use it just for area polylines that you shape to the needed area and can click on to easily get the area.