windows - 2 questions

KatherineD

Hi there

How do I get my window and door dimensions to include the casings? I've tried to do it in default settings, and I can't make it work.

Also, why doesn't my library of windows, (manufacturer catalogs) pop up, when I click on the window, (like with the doors)? The Library button doesn't show up, for some reason. Yes, I downloaded the catalogs - already checked that.

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, KatherineD said:

Also, why doesn't my library of windows, (manufacturer catalogs) pop up, when I click on the window, (like with the doors)? The Library button doesn't show up, for some reason. Yes, I downloaded the catalogs - already checked that.

This is because doors work differently than  windows.  Doors are referencing a symbol for the door slab/panel while windows on the other hand do no such thing.  There’s nothing to reference.  Those library items are simply pre-defined parametric window objects or window symbols.

1 hour ago, KatherineD said:

X11 version

Here is a pic of what I don't want. I would like to set up the defaults so that the window and door casings are included in the dimension of the door and window that I type in.

Thanks ~

K

image.png

pic 1.docx

Set your currently active dimension default to Locate Objects>Openings>Casing and leave all other Opening options unchecked. 

Katherine, I took it that you want to specify a window by typing in a dimension of, say 36" and the dimension string would show 36" to the outside of the casing. I'm guessing you're measuring an existing room, going from the corner of the room to the first window casing, then measuring that window from the outside edges of the casing, then the drywall space to the next window casing, etc ..... and wanting to draw a room using these type of measurements.

If that's right, set up your window defaults with a casing in round numbers say 2" with Overlap Frame set to zero. Then when you enter your window sizes deduct that casing size x2 from the window size. So if you want a window that's 36" to the outside of the casing, enter 32" for the window. Then set your dimension defaults as Eric and Michael said, you'll get the result you're after.

If I guessed wrong, well, you get your money back. :)