X12 Question

ambrozac

Components. Find the components panel in the specification dialog for objects that are reported to the materials list.

The above quote is from Chief Architect, a new X12 feature, but I don't know what all it includes.  Maybe a Beta Tester could help out?

Are the framing parts, such as studs, joists, and rafters considered objects?  Same with polyline solids, are they considered objects?  I know they are all reported to the materials list, but will they have a Components dbx, to where you have control over their description and possibly adding a count of nails per stud, joist, etc., prior to being sent to the Materials List?  In the past, these items did not have a components dbx and is the reason I haven't upgraded since X8.  If every item that's now reported to the Materials List has a Components dbx, then I'll upgrade.  Thanks very much.

1 hour ago, ambrozac said:

Maybe a Beta Tester could help out?

No they can't as they are all Under NDA agreements ...the Public beta will release Jan. 21st , then they can Talk about it.... 

Unfortunately you won't have access to it since you have X8 still.

The Sale Ends Jan 6th I think , ie today, but they may give you a break tomorrow still ( or order it tonight) , I recommend you jump while it saves you $$$$ as X8 to X12 will add another $500-600 and if you have X11 you will have access to X12 due to SSA, as soon as the Beta releases.

M.

Thanks Mick.  Unfortunately I'll have to wait until next year's sale, if I'm unable to get an answer.

When I upgraded from X8 to X9, they removed an area in the program to go in a different direction, which made it partly unusable for me, so I returned it.  I believe you're only allowed to do that once.   I can't take a chance that I misinterpreted what I read/heard in the X12 video because I may be stuck with something I can't use. 

I have the trial of X10 and X11.  Neither have taken care of my situation, but from the X12 video, it seems promising.  In the video, it states all items in the Materials List will have a components dbx.  The PDF says all objects will have a components dbx, that are in the Materials List.  I don't know the difference between an item and an object, or whether it can be used in the manner I need.

Hey, I do appreciate your response.  I should've started my research earlier, but just now saw X12's new features.  Thanks!

I can't answer your question without either violating a Non Disclosure Agreement or speaking of what I don't know, but I will say this.  I would highly recommend you upgrade.  In addition to the new X12 features that you've seen listed, there have been so many improvements over the last few versions...I don't see how I could personally ever go back.  Plus, the learning curve during your eventual upgrade is only going to get worse.

I don't think you have anything to lose, you don't actually save anything only upgrading every 2-3-4 years , it is still (slightly) cheaper to have SSA (Subscription) active each year and have all the benefits of the latest version (PBR Etc) as well as technical support etc.

I don't think you'll regret it.....

Mick.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ambrozac said:

When I upgraded from X8 to X9, they removed an area in the program to go in a different direction, which made it partly unusable for me, so I returned it.

What, exactly was the "removed area" please, this seems to be the main bone of contention?

DJP

What, exactly was the "removed area" please, this seems to be the main bone of contention?

Thank you all for your replies.....

Thanks David.  In X8 and prior, when a wall is framed, the framing material will list in the Wall's Component dbx (fir stud, fir plate).  Those aren't acceptable descriptions for me.  However, I could edit the framing description at that point, prior to being sent to the Materials List.  The customized description would always remain, even when a Materials List was deleted.  Starting with X9, framing is no longer included in the Wall's Component dbx.  It is sent directly to the Materials List without the benefit of being edited first.  Now, you can only change the description in the Materials List, so you'll need to re-enter the description each time a new Materials List is generated.

I would prefer everything that is included in the Materials List, including program generated items, have their own Components dbx, so the customized Descriptions will remain when a Materials List is deleted.