Existing barn to residence

TennVol

Have a potential client who has purchased a property with an existing 30x30 barn. Some pics below.  There is an existing block footing, so a slab with appropriate vapor barrier can be poured inside. Going to need to frame out the stud bays and provide insulation/vapor barrier, etc. Has anybody done a plan for something like this and has some wisdom to share? Thanks

20191214_100542.jpg

20191215_112213.jpg

26 minutes ago, TennVol said:

Have a potential client who has purchased a property with an existing 30x30 barn. Some pics below.  There is an existing block footing, so a slab with appropriate vapor barrier can be poured inside. Going to need to frame out the stud bays and provide insulation/vapor barrier, etc. Has anybody done a plan for something like this and has some wisdom to share? Thanks

20191215_112213.jpg

If the 2nd photo is indicative of the rest of the Framing , I'd suggest dismantling the barn ( save material for reuse ) and Frame it conventionally if going to be a living space, assuming an Engineer thinks the block foundation is suitable for a new 2 story structure......

Or just build new next too it ...might be cheaper.....

Mick.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

consider using the barn as an outer shell

and build a self-contained "normal" house within that shell

depending on where you live the building codes may require this

check with your local building permit office to determine what is required

The stairs will probably have to be relocated and designed to meet code

Lew

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

If the 2nd photo is indicative of the rest of the Framing , I'd suggest dismantling the barn ( save material for reuse ) and Frame it conventionally if going to be a living space, assuming an Engineer thinks the block foundation is suitable for a new 2 story structure......

Or just build new next too it ...might be cheaper.....

Mick.

I was going to suggest using lighter fluid and a match... but Kbird’s 2nd suggestion would work better.

• Upvote 1

What jurisdiction will this be done in?

My concern is the existing rough sawn lumber.  Depending on how strict codes enforcement is, they may require some sort of engineering letter, signing off on the grade of it.

Also, for clarification, what do they want the barn to be used for?

Finally, I seem to recall there are a lot of threads on here about how to draw post and beam and/or timber framing.  I would think those would be of great help on the design side.

I think the barn looks great by the way.

Being a fellow Tennessean, I would like to meet the person who convinced so many in our area that barns are the way to go for a "cheap" new home with minimal work. I can't tell you how many barndominiums I have done over the last few years; pain in the butt and not really that much cheaper to build in the long run. With that said, it can be done but does require a lot of work because you are using apples and oranges to some degree.

From your pics, it appears the barn is not that old and the structure appears to be sound. If so, use the shell as mentioned above. I would probably recommend running any 2nd floor joists from the front to the back to stay away from the side eaves so you don't have to raise the roof to fit the joists in. That would also keep most point loads in the interior of the structure where you could make sure the foundation pads can be installed easily. Hard to give any suggestions (and that's all they are) without more info on the entire project proposed.

Edited by Ridge_Runner
more info

On 1/6/2020 at 12:53 PM, Stevenplane said:

What jurisdiction will this be done in?
My concern is the existing rough sawn lumber.  Depending on how strict codes enforcement is, they may require some sort of engineering letter, signing off on the grade of it.
Also, for clarification, what do they want the barn to be used for?

On 1/6/2020 at 1:45 PM, Ridge_Runner said:

Being a fellow Tennessean, I would like to meet the person who convinced so many in our area that barns are the way to go for a "cheap" new home with minimal work. I can't tell you how many barndominiums I have done over the last few years; pain in the butt and not really that much cheaper to build in the long run. With that said, it can be done but does require a lot of work because you are using apples and oranges to some degree.

From your pics, it appears the barn is not that old and the structure appears to be sound. If so, use the shell as mentioned above. I would probably recommend running any 2nd floor joists from the front to the back to stay away from the side eaves so you don't have to raise the roof to fit the joists in. That would also keep most point loads in the interior of the structure where you could make sure the foundation pads can be installed easily. Hard to give any suggestions (and that's all they are) without more info on the entire project proposed.

This is in Sevier County, they are pretty reasonable, not like some major cities I've worked with.  I assumed because I knew it, you all would too  :-)  but he wants to convert it to a residential structure. Barndominium is a pretty good way to put it.  Barn is about 10 years old and I've already let him know a structural engineer's evaluation will be a need on the front end. Mike, your thoughts on it not being much cheaper (if at all) were my first reaction when he contacted me. We'll see how it plays out. Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.