Wynsong

Balcony over lower roof - floor missing

I'm adding a look-out tower next to an existing house.  Would like a walk around balcony.   Adding just a cricket to the roof below; no other change to roof.  How can I get CA to allow the balcony floor to show despite the roof underneath.  I've tried all the tricks I know.   I have not yet added columns/cantilevers but no problem there. 

Thanks, Wynsong

Balcony floor problem.png

I don't see the version of Chief Architect Software you're using?  If you would update your signature, (provide a signature), including the software version and some computer information for future reference, and while there may be a simple answer here, uploading the plan file, will help those that wish to help you, in lieu of guessing what the issue might be offer help as to how to fix it?

I am assuming you may have an issue with the railing at this location with no room definition checked? If this is not the case, you might need to raise the elevation of that level enough so the roof is not fighting the walkaround deck for the same space? My two-cents.

Put the balcony on a floor above. Use absolute floor height to place it.

ct1.thumb.png.a22c3c92683b4cca3b821efab3c74210.png

ct3.thumb.png.d7b4969a8bd392936e67b033ed68293d.png

3 hours ago, Wynsong said:

I'm adding a look-out tower next to an existing house.  Would like a walk around balcony.   Adding just a cricket to the roof below; no other change to roof.  How can I get CA to allow the balcony floor to show despite the roof underneath.  I've tried all the tricks I know.   I have not yet added columns/cantilevers but no problem there. 

Thanks, Wynsong

Balcony floor problem.png

This is a good question...it took me a bit to figure out a solution.  I had to build a 3rd floor to make it work.  Maybe a real "guru" could chime in on this.  

Here are some pics...

2020-01-02_16-05-07.thumb.png.f0d19f5a51b78eb00b5abfece9e57c49.png  2020-01-02_16-04-56.thumb.png.6306dface44ff4f278c606f2d6f96f35.png

• Upvote 1

Eric is correct...you need to have a 3rd floor.  In this example I built the 3rd floor and set the room type as "open below".  It's quirky though...I found if I lowered the floor too much the railing would disconnect from the floor.  I have no idea why...maybe Eric can chime in...or someone that knows such things. 

2020-01-02_16-31-50.thumb.png.8e5f7d5fa7150677d8940c39e828a20c.png  2020-01-02_16-32-19.thumb.png.20b75c2a3bc911e612c6640fe48f47f7.png  2020-01-02_16-35-45.thumb.png.597c66d611bc696700b4c2b52f30b5dd.png

Thank you all,  I tried the third floor option and still had no floor since the absolute height is still below the ridge height of the main floor.  I do not want it higher so have taken the easy way out and just put two polygon solids one with the floor material and one with the underneath material.  It doesn't make any difference on the construction drawings and solves the 3D rendering problem.  Not elegant but I don't want to waste any more time on trying to get CA to do something it has deemed necessary to take the option away from  the designer.  Love my dad's saying:  "Give me all the help I ask for and none of the help I don't ask for." 

• Upvote 1

i created blank 3rd and 4th floors. Drew the balcony on the 4th, although I imagine it could go on any floor as long as it's the only thing on that floor -- and that's just for simplicity.

Use the absolute floor height to place it where you want it.

You will need a hole in the center the size of the room it surrounds.

Guess I should have done a video, but it seemed like a simple solution.

It seems to depend on how close the balcony is to the roof below.  I don't want to raise the balcony any higher.  Then, again, maybe it works in X11 but not X12 Beta 2.  See SNestor's comment.  No, I don't need a video.  Thanks for your help.   Wynsong