Plan is locked up. Any hints as to why?

JECORMIER

Ok, so I've been working on the plan now for the last 2 days and each day I save it as a new plan. Within an hour of saving it again this morning I started getting some slowdown in the commands. It didn't take but 5 minutes to then get to the point where it was not going to let me move a wall, adjust a sink or delete some hanging shelves in the master closet area. I have no idea what's going on. It's slowest and actually locks up when viewing the main level but is still very slow on second and basement levels.

Things to note:

Ran a virus check - nope (this file and whole computer).

ANY other plan I open up through Chief 11 works just fine.

I rebooted the computer several times.

Any suggestions and or a way to clean the plan for unused files etc would be helpful. I don't even know if that's the answer. If, at the end of the day, I cannot get this cleared up is there a way to transfer to a new file without bringing the lockup issue with it?

Gotta get this out today. Sheesh!

Thank you all in advance for your suggestions.

Justin

CHAMPION_1-2-20.plan

Do you have a survey dwg file imported in there?  I am seeing some exterior elevation cameras off to the right which show a structure when opened (takes forever for them to open)...  My guess is it is that imported item that you have there (file says it is missing when I turned on all layers.  Also you have ALL of your labels on which sped things up slightly when I turned them off.  

Food for thought on what it might be.

Ok, so I removed the pdf survey from the plan.

Turned off roof planes.

Turned off any labels that didn't need to show.

Deleted the suv.

....And it still crashes. Hmmm

Are there other layers that need to be turned off or could there be something with the staircase? I don't know, I'm grasping at straws here. ha

Justin,

In your 1st post you mentioned that you had been saving as a "New Plan" each day.  It could be that you are getting a lot of disk memory being use by multiple copies, backups auto-saved copies.  Not knowing what your disk size is or what is available for swap space you may have inadvertently caused the problem completely external to Chief.

Otherwise, you could contact customer support and see if they can solve the problem.

1 hour ago, JECORMIER said:

still crashes when I move a wall in the master bathroom area that I'm working on.

It's probably just a fluke, but every time I tried to do anything to the wall between the Master Bedroom and the chimney > crash and burn. I deleted that wall and rebuilt and all seemed right again. Worth looking at all the interior walls in that location, or maybe even deleting them all and re-doing.

• Upvote 1

Ummmmm WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That stupid wall between the master and great room was the issue. Deleted it and the rest of the master wing inside walls and presto, all's well with the world again.

OMG. That was breaking my spirits over the last few hours.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

1 hour ago, JECORMIER said:

That stupid wall between the master and great room was the issue.

Your problem is not the wall, its that you somehow managed to put 1,024 (one-thousand-twenty-four) doors in that wall instead of just the one that you actually need. Not sure how that happened, but group select and delete those doors from the wall and you should be good to go.

I think you owe that wall an apology.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

you somehow managed to put 1,024 (one-thousand-twenty-four) doors in that wall

37 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I think you owe that wall an apology.

:)  That made me Smile ...thanks....  

• Like 2

I have NO earthly idea how those doors got there.

Duplicate doors and windows are bad.  I know, captain obvious here, but they can cause a lot more problems than just slow downs.

There are a number of ways that you could have done this accidentally.   It's pretty unlikely that you clicked on the Copy Paste in Place tool over a thousand times (or used the hotkeys to do the same thing).  It's also very easy to create this many copies using the Transform Replicate dialog but I am guessing that this was unlikely as well.  There may be a number of other ways that I am probably not thinking of at the moment.

But all of this leads to me to the unfortunate suspicion that the program somehow did this.  If you can somehow catch the program doing this again, then please report this to our tech support team along with the plan and steps to reproduce the problem.   We absolutely need the steps to reproduce the problem because just sending us a plan with lots of duplicate doors won't help us very much.  If this was the result of a program bug, we would certainly make it a high priority to fix.

BTW, an easy way to figure out that  you have duplicate doors is to use the marquee select method to select a door.  The status bar should then show you how many you have when there are duplicates.

On a side note, your plan posted above has a number of things that don't really make sense to me.  For example, if you switch to the all on layer set, fill screen (F6), and use select all (control-a), you will see a rather strange railing about 500' off to the right.  You also have some joist direction lines and cameras that are out in the middle of nowhere.  You might want to clean up some of these things and you may have less problems in the future. 

Unlike some other cad programs, Chief's "smart" objects can actually cause negative side effects when they are used in ways that don't make sense to the program.  For example, drawing two simple cad lines crossing each other should never be a problem but if you draw two elevation lines with different heights crossing each other you will probably blow up the terrain.

• Upvote 1