one time builder

Randy13

I am looking at building a new house and am wondering what program to use. I am an experienced builder but have never used a design tool. I want all aspects from framing to electrical. Is it worth to buy outright the chief architect or just rent it .     

it is feasible to buy Chief for $3K

then when done with the project re-sell it  for approx. 75-80% of its value

or maybe rent to own (more expensive) if you think you can complete the project in short-order

unlikely due to the learning curve for the software

Lew

Hello Randy,

Feel free to reach out to our Sales Department if you have any questions about the differences between our products or if you have questions on renting versus purchasing a license.  We can be reached by phone at 208-292-3400 or email sales@chiefarchitect.com

Kind regards,

Derek Pedersen

Chief Architect Software

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2020 at 1:51 PM, solver said:

You might also consider Home Designer Pro ($500 to buy or rent for $50 a month I think) if this is a one time project. It's a stripped down version of Chief, but is quite capable. Easy upgrade to Chief if needed.

This is what I would recommend for a one time project.

You might want to get the Pro version and place rooms how you want with correct ceiling heights. Watch out for long open spans. If there's a second floor, try to figure out the (2nd. floor) floor system thickness. Once you have the basic layout, someone with the Premier Version could help.

12 minutes ago, tommy1 said:

You might want to get the Pro version and place rooms how you want with correct ceiling heights. Watch out for long open spans. If there's a second floor, try to figure out the (2nd. floor) floor system thickness. Once you have the basic layout, someone with the Premier Version could help.

That is what I suggest. Rent/Buy Home Designer Pro to layout walls, windows and doors then hire a pro to help you from there.

• Upvote 1