X12 New Features are listed Here

Electromen

Great release..

Hopefully saved Cameras will save the SETTINGS as well,.. that would be great to set and not fiddle every time.

Pluses..

Stairs got "some" attention..

Roof Pivot controls..

Multiple Layout..

Style palette could be interesting..

However editing Solids in any view.. dimensions improvements.. point to point.. centering.. trimming terrain lines..  All very welcome but really should not be mentioned as new features as they are very minor and are CAD 101 Chief should have had from day ONE..

Really wish PBR got some attention..!

I don't interiors, remodels, or schedules so a good many new features not useful to me..

• Upvote 1

I don't interiors, remodels, or schedules so a good many new features not useful to me..

Rashid:

I have suggested many times over the last decade that Chief be sold in modules to help keep the cost down

some need the landscape/terrain features and some don't

some need kitchen features and some don't

some may want the entire package like I did

Lew

• Upvote 1

I think $3,000 price scares off some customers

I they can get software focused on the job they do they might go for a lower cost

why would a landscaper buy Chief? if they don't do new construction or remodels etc

break Chief into its 3 or 4 major components - yet continue to offer Premier for those who want it all

Lew

3 hours ago, Rashid_Garuba said:

Hopefully saved Cameras will save the SETTINGS as well

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this?  What settings are you referring to that don't currently save and that you need to "fiddle" with every time?

3 hours ago, Rashid_Garuba said:

However editing Solids in any view.. dimensions improvements.. point to point.. centering.. trimming terrain lines..  All very welcome but really should not be mentioned as new features as they are very minor and are CAD 101 Chief should have had from day ONE.

This is an odd statement.

A.  They're new to Chief and definitely improvements, so obviously worth noting.

B.  They're really not minor at all IMO.  Some of those items are MAJOR time savers.  For a person who does a lot of terrains, the ability to trim terrain lines alone could easily make the upgrade worth it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this?  What settings are you referring to that don't currently save and that you need to "fiddle" with every time?

I am referring to Render technique settings.. the ability to save settings for different effects. If these save with the views it would take care of this.

13 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

This is an odd statement.

A.  They're new to Chief and definitely improvements, so obviously worth noting.

B.  They're really not minor at all IMO.  Some of those items are MAJOR time savers.  For a person who does a lot of terrains, the ability to trim terrain lines alone could easily make the upgrade worth it.

For Chief DEFINITELY welcome and will be time-savers and you are right, major for Chief.. But not major when other Modelling and CAD programs have had these for very long. I am grateful Chief now has them but I take them for granted elsewhere.. hope you see my perspective.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

+1. I'm certainly glad they mention the new features. I'd hate to have to go digging through the reference manual, comparing that to an older ref manual, just to figure out what's different. :wacko:

Kind of along the same idea as my 'marketplace' for the updates - I like the modules concept.

3 hours ago, lbuttery said:

I have suggested many times over the last decade that Chief be sold in modules to help keep the cost down

some need the landscape/terrain features and some don't

some need kitchen features and some don't

some may want the entire package like I did

Lew

Personally I would like to see CA offer a monthly subscription program. Forget the annual SSA fee, just charge say $40 per month and be done with it. I think they loose out on potential ongoing revenue as every time their SSA is due for renewal many users evaluate whether or not the new release features are worth the $550 cost. On a monthly subscription fee this yearly evaluation would be eliminated. For new potential users this would eliminate the possible price shock of $3,000, it's just say $95/month. Many software companies have realized that this is the best way to go and now focus their efforts on promoting subscription based services.

• Upvote 2

On 1/5/2020 at 11:27 AM, Richard_Z said:

it would require S connector with upper rail, but this might be to much to ask for)

Isn't that what the Smooth Transition Option is For ?   seems to work in some circumstances....

5 hours ago, Rashid_Garuba said:

Cameras will save the SETTINGS as well,.. that would be great to set and not fiddle every time.

Set them in the Plan Defaults in your Template Plan ..... and never touch them again....works for me....

M.

24 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Personally I would like to see CA offer a monthly subscription program. Forget the annual SSA fee, just charge say $40 per month and be done with it. I think they loose out on potential ongoing revenue as every time their SSA is due for renewal many users evaluate whether or not the new release features are worth the $550 cost. On a monthly subscription fee this yearly evaluation would be eliminated. For new potential users this would eliminate the possible price shock of $3,000, it's just say $95/month. Many software companies have realized that this is the best way to go and now focus their efforts on promoting subscription based services.

Umm I must be misunderstanding but isn’t that what they do with the $199 a month lease program?  Btw most programs that are this specialized are $165+ a month (I use two type programs and was leasing CA until I recently purchased a license and now have the annual ssa).  Doing the math purchasing it once then $45 a month average (550 ssa) is well worth it for always having the newest as well as the free library content and support if needed.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

This has been discussed and many of us are strongly against it. Software companies like it because they get an endless stream of revenue, even from long term users. I have software I've owned for 20 years that I still use, but only had to pay for once. If Chief had been sold under never-ending subscription fees I would not have bought it.

Chief already offers monthly rental now for users who don't want to pay the full price.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Rashid_Garuba said:

I am referring to Render technique settings.. the ability to save settings for different effects. If these save with the views it would take care of this.

Ah, I see.  These are saved with individual cameras, but not something that can be edited at the default level except for the one single default Rendering Technique setting for that particular rendering style.  

3 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Great insight/idea .. but that $3000.00 chunk ( up front ) is gonna be hard to give up .. :unsure:

My comment was not intended to imply that current users who have purchased CA be forced to convert to a subscription. This would just be an alternative CA offering that potential purchasers may find more suitable. I checked out SoftPlan and they offer 3 types of purchase options, outright purchase one single payment, outright purchase 12 equal monthly payments and a $95/month subscription program. Nothing wrong with having more choices.

6 minutes ago, lbuttery said:

currently CA's installment plan is for 12 months aimed to smooth out the cost

the total is more than a flat out purchase

Lew

Yes I realize that, I'm suggesting a true subscription based program option. I understand that there are those that for their own reasons prefer 100% ownership, that's fine, but there are many that really don't care about ownership rights, they just want usage rights. Subscriptions satisfy the latter, when you compare the cost of subscription versus ownership with annual upgrading then subscription is a very valid option, and it saves the user putting in any upfront funds. Just suggesting this as an option.

On 12/30/2019 at 8:11 AM, HumbleChief said:

Sad to see that previous features are still the same like the multi reference set tool. No way to turn one off without deleting it or using other techniques and the glass house option is still useless. That's kinda par for the course with Chief. Once a 'feature' is done there's no going back to make it more user friendly and I've learned to live with it.

Larry,  you must be missing something,  the Multi Ref is about as good as it gets.  I have used 3. ref sets for one layer set in certain plans.  It really is where it should of been years ago.  Thanks CA for this.

40 minutes ago, dshall said:

Larry,  you must be missing something,  the Multi Ref is about as good as it gets.  I have used 3. ref sets for one layer set in certain plans.  It really is where it should of been years ago.  Thanks CA for this.

I agree they are great and I use them in every plan but they could be so much better and know that Chief will most likely never improve them as is their typical MO which was the point of my post.

I use multi ref sets for almost every plan and depend on them but find them just a bit crippled for my work flow. For example, sometimes I need a ref set to only see the first floor walls to develop the second floor plan but then really don't need that ref set anymore. That ref set, which is no longer needed, then has be deleted or altered as there's no easy or intuitive way to control its display, (I am aware of a couple work arounds that sometimes work.) If it's needed again it has to be recreated. I think each ref set should have a simple on/off toggle to display or not. An on/off toggle would allow much more flexibility and improve the usability, again for my work flow, immensely. If they're working great for you then bravo but I find the execution a bit clunky.

Curious, do you use the ref set glass house feature? I went through a couple threads here on the forum trying to figure them out and found them truly useless. So much unrealized potential and was hoping they might be improved but again, the point of my post, Chief very seldom goes back to improve a feature like ref sets once they think it's complete. And yes I suggested changes and am mostly worn out doing same.

Again glad they are working for you but again find the execution lacking.

2 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

I use multi ref sets for almost every plan and depend on them but find them just a bit crippled for my work flow. For example, sometimes I need a ref set to only see the first floor walls to develop the second floor plan but then really don't need that ref set anymore. That ref set, which is no longer needed, then has be deleted or altered as there's no easy or intuitive way to control its display, (I am aware of a couple work arounds that sometimes work.) If it's needed again it has to be recreated. I think each ref set should have a simple on/off toggle to display or not. An on/off toggle would allow much more flexibility and improve the usability, again for my work flow, immensely. If they're working great for you then bravo but I find the execution a bit clunky.

Curious, do you use the ref set glass house feature? I went through a couple threads here on the forum trying to figure them out and found them truly useless. So much unrealized potential and was hoping they might be improved but again, the point of my post, Chief very seldom goes back to improve a feature like ref sets once they think it's complete. And yes I suggested changes and am mostly worn out doing same.

Again glad they are working for you but again find the execution lacking.

No,  I do not use that glass house feature.

You got me thinking about turning off the ref set,  it would be a good feature,  but until they give you this feature,  simply toggle the ref set to ref the 3rd floor or the 18th floor. (a floor that does not have anything on it).  Almost as simple as a toggle one/off button.

703036068_ScreenShot2020-01-09at7_21_25AM.thumb.png.3d43d7dacf9406ac95b2f5ffd25711a1.png

40 minutes ago, dshall said:

No,  I do not use that glass house feature.

You got me thinking about turning off the ref set,  it would be a good feature,  but until they give you this feature,  simply toggle the ref set to ref the 3rd floor or the 18th floor. (a floor that does not have anything on it).  Almost as simple as a toggle one/off button.

703036068_ScreenShot2020-01-09at7_21_25AM.thumb.png.3d43d7dacf9406ac95b2f5ffd25711a1.png

Yeah that's what I usually do but I'm not able to reference a floor that does not exist, can you? I'll ref a floor like the attic but sometimes it will show a couple of stray items and will need altering - again. It's not the worst work around but still clunky and the feature could be so much better but fear it never will be as is, again, Chief's usual MO. Wouldn't it be cool to have a "Display" check box next to the XOR box that you could turn the ref set on or off? Just sayin' and hoping things are well with you...

EDIT: I created a new REF OFF set and put it on the top of the layer set list and will list all ref sets there on the top. Think it should work fine for the future. Thanks for sparking my brain a bit this morning...

Besides general construction I build custom stairs, custom cabinets and Chief is getting close to let me present my job. At last I'll be able to show cabinet interior without workarounds.  But I have hard time to accept new feature as "break stairs" when it can not present it right. All it needs is to be able  to move center of rail/baluster to the center of wall it pointing.  To make it code compliant without rail on the other side, there is S connector required to upper rail to get it continuous. The video about new features clearly shows the issue and I'm surprised CA let it go. Isn't it all about presentation we are after. To draw construction plans Chief 10 (not X10) was ok.

Stair 1.JPG

Stair 2.JPG

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Richard_Z said:

Besides general construction I build custom stairs, custom cabinets and Chief is getting close to let me present my job. At last I'll be able to show cabinet interior without workarounds.  But I have hard time to accept new feature as "break stairs" when it can not present it right. All it needs is to be able  to move center of rail/baluster to the center of wall it pointing.  To make it code compliant without rail on the other side, there is S connector required to upper rail to get it continuous. The video about new features clearly shows the issue and I'm surprised CA let it go. Isn't it all about presentation we are after. To draw construction plans Chief 10 (not X10) was ok.

Richard, you can do this now with X11 by drawing the stair rail manually.  Turn off the rail on the stair DBX, then draw a straight rail in line with the wall, and click on the 'Follow Stairs' box in the railings DBX.

• Upvote 2

As genuinely helpful as Mark's suggestion is, it is very common to get a similar response to conditions in Chief that are simply not right - "Here's the workaround." In very few real world cases will a stair rail be built as Chief builds it by default as in the first pic, and the second picture, if not accurate in every case, is accurate in enough to have the option at least built in to Chief's stair tool IMHO.

• Upvote 1