X12 New Features are listed Here

Electromen

1 hour ago, Chrisb222 said:

My only gripe so far is all the misspellings of tray ceiling. :huh:

Totally agree.  I’ve heard people argue to the contrary that it’s a regional thing, but it’s not.  It’s incorrect.  It’s just become normalized in some areas.  It’s the slow but certain degradation of the language.  It started as Tray, it turned into Trey, and now I’m even seeing Trace in some places.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

It's the same guy that puts Wayne's Coat along the bottom of a wall...

Haha, that's how I pronounce wainscot, but at least that IS one of the three recognized pronunciations.

If I said "WAIN-scutt" around here I'd probably get whacked with a two-by-heavy. :lol:

"Trey" ceiling is just plain wrong.

Thought this explanation of the difference was pretty good:

“Tray Ceiling = a ceiling that looks like an inverted tray.

Trey Ceiling = a tray ceiling written by people who can't spell

Trace Ceiling = a tray ceiling written by people who don't listen well or heard of it from people with a heavy accent”

Probably an ID , trying to make it sound more "sophisticated" for a Client, so they used ( what they thought) was the "French/European" Spelling.....

But honestly it didn't bother me as lots of stuff in CA isn't named per the real world.... you just have to use/get used to them.... ie Stringer in another  thread....

M.

X12 should be a blast!  Bring it on.....spring-time Christmas!!!

As far as regional terminology goes - I find it almost entertaining how some of the most mundane and small things become issues for people.  I "learn't" me some framing in Texas.  When I moved to WA state, I was speaking a completely foreign language with the building terms I had used in Texas.  The really odd ducks up here were the ones who felt almost religiously compelled to correct me. Like they were saving me.

Now sometimes I purposely say things wrong just to see if people call me on it or not.  

Most are probably thinking I'm stupid, but every once in a while I hook one and we have fun.

Y'all have a great 2020!  Let's see this economy ROAR!

12 hours ago, para-CAD said:

I "learn't" me some framing in Texas.

Funny, "learnt" is actually a correct usage there. 

I stopped trying to get one of my guys to stop calling jack studs cripples. He insists so I just go along. He also wants to say something that's level is "plumb" and something that's plumb is "level" but he inconsistently uses the terms interchangeably. Haha. I know what he means.

However, printed material in a professional product should be correct.

12 hours ago, para-CAD said:

Y'all have a great 2020!

Same to ya! :D

On 1/3/2020 at 11:26 AM, Kbird1 said:

But honestly it didn't bother me as lots of stuff in CA isn't named per the real world.... you just have to use/get used to them....

On 1/3/2020 at 5:37 PM, para-CAD said:

I find it almost entertaining how some of the most mundane and small things become issues for people.

On 1/3/2020 at 5:37 PM, para-CAD said:

I was speaking a completely foreign language with the building terms I had used in Texas.  The really odd ducks up here were the ones who felt almost religiously compelled to correct me. Like they were saving me.

The thing is that some of us feel compelled to help maintain some semblance of a functional language so that we can understand each other.  It isn't helpful to anyone to purposely use 2 different languages or to refer to the same things with multiple terms.  It can only serve to confuse and hinders productive and accurate communication.  In fact, it defeats the real purpose for using those words in the first place.  I see it all the time here on the forum...people can't find what they're looking for or don't know what a setting does because they're expecting or using different terminology.  Sometimes the user is wrong and sometimes the software is wrong, but it becomes less and less of a problem the more consistent we are. 

Now don't get me wrong, I actually don't lose any sleep over incorrectly used terminology, and I screw things up too, but acting like it doesn't matter is just foolishness especially when we're talking about professional communication.  We should try to stay on the same page as much as we reasonably can and I don't think we should fault people for encouraging us to do so. 

16 minutes ago, StephenGreene said:

i'm not trying to pick on anyone as i'm sure it's just a regional thing, but where i'm from, everyone generally considers a footing to be the bottom part of a foundation and a footer to be a block of text at the bottom of a document.

Regional or not, this is another example of a very clearly defined term.  All one has to do is open a standard dictionary.  I would argue that the real regional difference is simply in relative levels of ignorance (obviously willful in many cases).  

I called a screwdriver a “kyker” till I was 3 and my immediate family adjusted terminology to suit (and why not, it was super cute!).  I don’t think our “regional” term was correct though and I assume my mother and father saw the wisdom in calling it a “screwdriver” when they were communicating with other people and when teaching my younger brothers how to speak.

Upgrade looks great except for stairs. We need control how far from side edge spindles and handrail are mounted.  After breaking and stretching lower section of stairs handrail is missing end wall, or if width of stairs is reduced to display handrail correctly than the skirt board is under drywall. To make it code compliant handrail has to be continuous (it would require S connector with upper rail, but this might be to much to ask for). I usually put full length handrail on other wall, but on couple occasions it was worse choice.

• Like 1

I prefer recessed as the term for the ceiling feature.

A web search turns up a lot of people using the spelling "trey."  Some dummy says it comes from French and I am sure the dummy has it confused with Spanish.  Let's face it, builders and real estate agents aren't purists when it comes to architectural terminology.

But kudos to Chief for bringing us the tools to do this.

Any idea if X12 will require more in the way of hardware (especially video) than what X11 needs?  Got stuck upgrading my PC last year to get 11 to run.  Hoping my current setup listed below will be adequate. I rolled the dice and paid for the upgrade. Here's hoping...

2 hours ago, Richard_Z said:

Upgrade looks great except for stairs. We need control how far from side edge spindles and handrail are mounted.  After breaking and stretching lower section of stairs handrail is missing end wall, or if width of stairs is reduced to display handrail correctly than the skirt board is under drywall. To make it code compliant handrail has to be continuous (it would require S connector with upper rail, but this might be to much to ask for). I usually put full length handrail on other wall, but on couple occasions it was worse choice.

Just curious, when you need that level of detail, then isn’t a cad detail the way to go?

I mean, you surely don’t expect anyone to zoom into a floor plan for spindle off-set dimensions do you?  Even if your callout is at 1/2 scale?

I think most guys would draw a cad detail and dimension it, when you get down to spindle spacing or railing offset or anything that requires that kind of precision. 

• Upvote 1