Copy/paste Tip

Joe_Carrick

It has been noted that often when copying an object in an elevation view and pasting it up or down to a different floor - it isn't copied to the floor that was intended. 

This is because the floor being worked on wasn't changed.  If the following procedure is used the object will be pasted on the desired floor:

1.  Change to the Floor that you want to Copy the Object to.  ie: <1>, <2>, <3>, etc.

2.  In the Elevation View, select and Copy/Paste the Object

The problem would not occur if you are working in Plan View because you would automatically have changed floors before pasting but in Section or Elevation Views it's easy to forget that you need to be on the correct floor to paste the object.

Note:  This will not work with Transform/Replicate - it only works with the Copy/Paste Edit Tool.

I wonder why the p-solid tool acts differently if you pick a p-solid from the toolbar, and if you pick a p-solid from the primitive solids section. From the primitive solids section it always give you  the solid located at "(0)" height even if you are on the 2nd floor. From the toolbar, it puts the solid at a 2nd floor height.

Perry,

P_Solids (aka Polyline Solids) and Primitive Solids are 2 different animals.  You can use the boolean operations on multiple P_Solids or on multiple Primitive Solids but you can't use a boolean operation on a P_Solid and a Primitive Solid.

The Primitive Solids are essentially defined/intended to be independent of any given Floor Level.

Perry,

Perhaps I don't understand the objects you are referring to.  Here are the definitions as I understand them:

1.  Primitive Solids  -  Box, Sphere, Cylinder, Pyramid, Cone, Face

2.  Special case Polyline Solid created using the Build PrimitiveTool)

3.  P_Solid (Polyline Solid)  -  a Polyline created in either Plan or Elevation and then "Converted to a Solid"

4.  Slab - Special case of a P_Solid

5.  Custom Countertop- Special case of a P_Solid

All items listed in #1 are distinctly different animals and can't be added to or subtracted from any of the items listed in #2, #3, #4 or #5.

I hope this isn't too off topic but since we are discussing p-line solids in elevation view I thought I would bring it up.....

I use p-line solids to create belly bands and like trim in elevation.

I go from wall to wall and manually create a band and then change it's layer to a new one or put it on the corner board layer then change it to the material I desire.

I can transform replicate or copy if the items are in a close enough area or plane but overall it is time consuming effort..

any suggestions on a better method?????

I hope this isn't too off topic but since we are discussing p-line solids in elevation view I thought I would bring it up.....

I use p-line solids to create belly bands and like trim in elevation.

I go from wall to wall and manually create a band and then change it's layer to a new one or put it on the corner board layer then change it to the material I desire.

I can transform replicate or copy if the items are in a close enough area or plane but overall it is time consuming effort..

any suggestions on a better method?????

Yes, Rob  -  that's way off topic.  Just a suggestion, I think you'd get better results if you started a thread specifically asking that question.  But Perry is absolutely right.  Create an Exterior Room Molding Polyline.  It's much faster and it can actually be copied from Floor to Floor using the technique described in my 1st post.

Well, it does say "Copy" in the T/R dbx. "Copy" means one thing here & something else over there?

Come on now, it's the same thing. If that is not the case, that's part of the problem. 

There ARE inconsistencies in how different things are duplicated & where they end up in plan view- depending on tool used, object type & where the task is being performed-plan or camera.

One method works for some things but not others. That could be cleaned up some. IMO

• 4 weeks later...