basement floor level dimensions

crosscutter55

20 minutes ago, DG1949 said:

the building drives what happens with the foundation so it's probably better to just go with Chief's flow. 

I agree. If you start with the foundation, and then the client, or you during the developmental phase, make changes, the foundation work will be lost or at least have to be edited. 1st floor is king with me and the foundation is usually the last thing I work on.

3 minutes ago, crosscutter55 said:

foundation measurements can be done from the exterior on an existing home

This is a different animal (as-builts). You could do a hybrid plan on this one. I always have the CA location 0,0,0 shown on my template plans with a point marker, shown in a bold color and placed on its own locked layer that I can turn on and off; copy it to each floor. For your as-built, you could just draw four walls on the 1st floor, starting at 0,0,0, to form a box. Build a blank foundation. Then, draw your as-built foundation starting at 0,0. Go up to the 1st floor and adjust to suit. That would do what you want I think.

A couple ways you could go about this...

1. As Mike pointed out above (albeit with some extra details), you can simply open a blank blank, Build Foundation>Make new blank plan...and then start drawing your foundation before even placing a single wall on Floor 1.
  2. You could simply draw your Foundation on Floor 1, your first floor on Floor 2, etc.  There are oftentimes other good reasons to do this anyway.  

There are so many ways of doing the same things in chief !! I Like your idea of drawing the basement on floor 1 I will give that a try , THANKS  !! IS THERE ANY ISSUES WITH THE FLOOR # ? Can that be swapped from floor 1 to zero somehow ??

as i try all these diffrent approaches i learn more thanks again :)

43 minutes ago, crosscutter55 said:

S THERE ANY ISSUES WITH THE FLOOR # ?

Not really.  The only problem I can think of would be with things in your schedule or material list that reference a floor number.  If you want those to reference the logical/true first and second floors than you would have to address that using the Object Information Fields, customized schedules, etc.  Very minor detail IMO.

46 minutes ago, crosscutter55 said:

Can that be swapped from floor 1 to zero somehow ??

No.  You could use the other option of simply starting with a blank foundation plan though if you wanted to go that route.

6 hours ago, crosscutter55 said:

I know chief makes you draw the first floor first :( in x 10 . Exterior foundation dimensions to me seem to be alot more positive !! Is there a way to start from the foundation and have the first floor align with the foundation ? 

* may I have missed something ? but assuming you are using Chief's Defaults for Dimensions/Temp Dims, Wall Type definitions and Resize About, I am not sure you need too as the Main layer of the wall on level 1 (Framing) will line up with the outside of the foundation concrete Wall when you build it auto after drawing the main floor walls , eg a 25ft Dim on Floor 1 should be the same on the foundation level. ( you don't want dims to "surfaces" on at this point though as is common for As-Builts , you simply use the foundation measurements for the 1st Floor walls.)

image.thumb.png.6be52f1bc5d6f8faa554b6d988e7e999.pngimage.thumb.png.73dae43db01d167fb6f4dd07bfd423d1.png

• Upvote 1