Anyone else go back to not using “saved plan views” anymore?

Michael_Gia

4 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

Again, this video is more of a sales pitch for Saved Plan Views than it is anything even remotely resembling a how to video. 

Sounds like some are thinking this new tool is harder to implement and use than it really is. 

Think of it as a quicker, easier way of doing what you have already been doing.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

David,

I love this idea.  It could be a part of the "Defaults".  Since SPV's use the "Defaults" (formerly "Annosets" or "Active Defaults") this would be a great addition to the "Defaults" and therefore automatically SPVs.

Please make this request via a support request or use the Beta reporting tool.  I will do likewise.

Will do, Boss!

15 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

..."Defaults" (formerly "Annosets" or "Active Defaults")...

Just so we're on the same page and use the correct terminology so as to not confuse anyone...

We still have Active Defaults, those haven't gone anywhere.  It's just that Annotations Sets were renamed to Default Sets in X12.  That's really what they have always been anyway.  Annotation Sets are nothing more than a saved group of Defaults, which, when you switch to them, become your Active Defaults.  The naming is just more consistent now. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/30/2019 at 6:12 PM, SNestor said:

Chief needs to produce additional videos that explain (the how to ) clearly (and slowly) the power and time saved when using Saved Plan Views as opposed to Annotation Sets.  You need to convince the Chief user base to "go into the light"...so to speak. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, it appears from the many comments on this forum that SPV's are nothing more than glorified Anno Sets.  I realize this view is inaccurate...but, I sense this is the prevailing view of many users.  

I agree 100%, as a user of CA X11 and intending to renew my SSA again this year, I am not currently using the software as a source of income, (might one day If I can ever retire) and that being said, SPV's I'm sure are a real productivity tool, and since most of us set up Layers sets with corresponding annotation sets, it seems it would be a simple move to just start using SPV's, but I've found it for me too complicated to learn the proper way to use them, to take advantage of SPV's.  The only feeble attempt I made and trying them on a project screwed up my Layouts so, that I just went back to the way I've been working, instead of figuring out what I was doing wrong. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Michael_Gia said:

Again, this video is more of a sales pitch for Saved Plan Views than it is anything even remotely resembling a how to video. 

I think Chief gets confused about its users and assumes a certain level of expertise in the concepts that are all too familiar with the staff creating the videos. This disconnect permeates Chief's user interface as well which is clearly designed by software engineers and not graphical user interface experts. Something every Chief user has to deal with...

• Upvote 1

I hesitate to post how to vids as I am clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed but perhaps this will shed some light for some and as always wait for the smart guys to post so we can learn some more. EDIT: I can see I should have named each new Plan View as a Plan View and not a plan set. Hope that's not too confusing...

Pulled the video as I inadvertently recorded it in X12 in violation of the beta NDA. Apologies all round... 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Evolution said:

No need to jump, my SSA auto renews. My current SSA is good until into Feb 2020.

According to the offer page, the cost will go from $556 now to $1,195 on Jan 7. For me, that would be a reason to jump, but I have a strange attachment to my money. :D

1 hour ago, Evolution said:

...  The only feeble attempt I made and trying them on a project screwed up my Layouts so, that I just went back to the way I've been working, instead of figuring out what I was doing wrong. 

Bob, have you tried using a finished layout to generate your saved plan views?

1 hour ago, Chrisb222 said:

According to the offer page, the cost will go from $556 now to $1,195 on Jan 7. For me, that would be a reason to jump, but I have a strange attachment to my money. :D

@ Chris......

That is for an Upgrade if your SSA has Expired and you are a version behind ( eg X10>X11 now, X10>X12 after jan 7th) , if you are paying the Annual $525 and are current , there is nothing to worry about. To get the Public Beta for X12 on Jan 21 they usually want your SSA to be current for 2-3 months beyond the release date but Auto-renew should cover that.

M. 

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

I hesitate to post how to vids as I am clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed but perhaps this will shed some light for some and as always wait for the smart guys to post so we can learn some more. EDIT: I can see I should have named each new Plan View as a Plan View and not a plan set. Hope that's not too confusing...

Thanks for the video.  It kind of highlights how Chief has become an unwieldy mess of anno sets, defaults, layer sets, and finally Saved Plan Views. 

I like the direction Chief is going in with Saved Plan Views but they’re not there yet. I will make more of an effort when they overhaul the whole system and maybe make SVP’s the ONLY way to set up a view. In other words, when you save a plan view everything about it is unique to that view. No sharing of layer sets or anno sets bereeen views. Each is unique and independent of any other view.  Kind of like setting up unique anno sets for each view. I know a few guys who already do this. So why hasn’t Chief figured that out yet?  It’s a mess. 

20 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

Thanks for the video.  It kind of highlights how Chief has become an unwieldy mess of anno sets, defaults, layer sets, and finally Saved Plan Views. 

I like the direction Chief is going in with Saved Plan Views but they’re not there yet. I will make more of an effort when they overhaul the whole system and maybe make SVP’s the ONLY way to set up a view. In other words, when you save a plan view everything about it is unique to that view. No sharing of layer sets or anno sets bereeen views. Each is unique and independent of any other view.  Kind of like setting up unique anno sets for each view. I know a few guys who already do this. So why hasn’t Chief figured that out yet?  It’s a mess. 

First off...I'm no expert on plan views.  

However, I believe Chief's intent was to get away from Annotation Sets.  You can actually add all your defaults right in the Plan View Dialogue.  There is a box for the "current annotation set"...but, you don't actually have to use an anno set to create a saved plan view.  In reality...Plan Views are the big brother to Annotation Sets.  They do everything an Anno Set does...but other things also.  You can't have two plan views open at the same time using two different Anno Sets...this is the first big advantage.  Secondly...you can create plan views that use different "ref sets"...(which are nothing more than "layer sets")...so you can see different things below or above...and still be using the same annotations.  There are other advantages which someone like Larry could explain I'm sure....

2020-01-02_16-43-32.thumb.png.fd7e14b8342e43b88a4f086d16a111f7.png

1 hour ago, parkwest said:

Bob, have you tried using a finished layout to generate your saved plan views?

David, I don't think so?  I thought I was doing it the way it was intended, for example, first floor plan architectural, in that anno set I had layers I needed turned on, and annosets set up for the Cad details, notes, dimensions, elements that I wanted turned on for that particular plan. After having saved a number of different views as I sent them to layout, I had to continually make corrections from layout page to layout page, anyway; I'll see what happens next.

It's been months since I tried it and it's been almost that long since my last project.  I'm generally using the soft ware for my Day job when they need me to do a Design Build. I was told I may have another one coming up, and perhaps if I can figure the SPV process out, I will try your suggestion? 

Thanks for the input.

29 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

Each is unique and independent of any other view.  Kind of like setting up unique anno sets for each view.

That's exactly what SPV's are. Like Michael (Alaska) said above, what we are actually using is saved "defaults." Whether you call them annosets, default sets, or whatever, they are based on active defaults for each view where you decide what to show or not show and how to show it.

On 1/1/2020 at 1:06 PM, Kbird1 said:

SPVs were introduced in X10 actually but CA has never really pushed the Idea as far as a deeper dive into them with Training Videos etc which would of helped with the transition for many I think. This X10 new Features Video is a little underwhelming and I am not surprised many missed the whole SPV intro...

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/2410/productivity-features-added-in-x10.html

I don't think Annotations Sets are going anywhere as they are used by SPVs though by default the Annotations drop down and management Icon have been removed from the Default toolbar. 

Thanks Mick,
Ok... well that is interesting that it was the first 'new feature' covered in X10.  My bad I guess.  Now watching it again I do see why it evaded my interest though.  To me it does little to nothing to really express how it can be helpful/useful.  I see it's trying but it simply doesn't grab.  Perhaps it's just the nature of this ability, because even after all of this talk I still don't fully see or understand it providing a great benefit to my current workflow.  I'm going to start using it, I assume it will grow on me.

Yeah actually Plan Views are much easier set up than explained and as in Steve's screen shot above it's easy to see how everything CAN be set up through the plan view dialog box alone. They will remain difficult, however, if one insists they remain difficult but once one's feet get wet and discover how powerful they can be it saves a bunch of effort. Maybe not easy, but worth the effort IMO.

Kinda curious, what's the alternative? Anno Sets? Layer Sets? Genuinely curious...

For me, using "Layer Sets", "Default Sets" (aka Annosets) & "Reference Layer Sets" is a good place to start.  Then once you've saved a "Saved Plan View" it's pretty easy to make any other needed changes or settings.

Additional items like: 

• Floor
  • Zoom 
  • CAD layer
  • etc

make up the "Saved Plan View" definition.  There are quite a few ways to customize, but using existing "Layer Sets" and "Defaults" provides a very nice way to maintain consistency between views.  Once you have a set of standards, it's easy to change floors and do a "Save As" to create a new SPV with everything else being the same.  You might need to modify the "Reference Layer Sets" but everything else will generally be the same.  

If you subsequently change something in the Layer Set it will change all SPVs using that Layer Set.  OTOH, simply by making a copy of the SPV you can change to a different Layer Set and different Defaults for a different Drawing type (framing for example) and "Save As".  

It's really makes coordination and consistency very easy.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

In other words, when you save a plan view everything about it is unique to that view. No sharing of layer sets or anno sets bereeen views. Each is unique and independent of any other view.

20 hours ago, SNestor said:

There is a box for the "current annotation set"...but, you don't actually have to use an anno set to create a saved plan view.  In reality...Plan Views are the big brother to Annotation Sets.

Both of these comments have truth and validity to them, but are a little too rigid in my way of viewing Chief.

Yes, SPVs can be set to use totally unique anno and layer sets, but it's not necessary and creates extra work when one anno/layer set may be able to serve multiple SPVs.

Likewise, discarding anno sets is possible now but also creates extra work unnecessarily. Yes you can create a new SPV without anno sets, but if an existing anno set works for multiple views it's more efficient just to call up the anno set and bam, set everything at once.

3 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

For what it's worth X12 has (for all intents) eliminated Anno Sets as a parameter in Saved Plan Views

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Top setting...Default Sets.  The Annotation Set function has remained...just been renamed.

I'm glad. Anno sets, or now Default Sets are still useful. All these tools are important as they do different things to work together for nearly infinite workflow possibilities.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I have been ignoring Saved Plan Views but can now see a benefit to using them.  I am just starting to use X12 for production work and would like start off right. Just the ability to show different views of pony walls for walk outs without CAD work would be wonderful.
If I take one of my completed layout files in X11 and produce Saved Plan Views from it, am I able to import those views to a new X12 Plan Template?  Those layout views have everything set up the way I want for CDs and this would be a time saver.

4 minutes ago, country said:

If I take one of my completed layout files in X11 and produce Saved Plan Views from it, am I able to import those views to a new X12 Plan Template?  Those layout views have everything set up the way I want for CDs and this would be a time saver.

Those Saved Plan Views not already made in the X11 Plan?  maybe not ? in which case I think in Layout you can Create them in the X11 Plan ( icon on toolbar after selecting layout box)  and then you can Import them into X12, from the X11 Plan File, replacing or adding to the X12 Premade Views.  Worth a try for sure....

M.

• Upvote 1