Terrain misery.

STRUCTURA

Hello, I'm a fairly new user and I can't for the life of me get my terrain to match what I'm expecting. It keeps making strange hills and valleys. I can't get outdoor pads that clip the terrain... why would terrain flow over a pad!!

I have looked at all the videos I can, but I haven't found out what to do to make mine work as sweetly as they do in the tutorials. 

Anyways, I'm curious how I can get help with this. Post images? Post a file? Thank you in advance!

Best,

Brennan

Annotation 2019-12-26 192857.jpg

Annotation 2019-12-26 192857 2.jpg

Your best bet is to post the plan file.  It can be tough to get quick answers for Terrain related questions regardless though because modeling terrains requires some intense dedication and investment in learning to use the tools.  And once you do know how to use the tools, it comes down to understanding specifically what YOU want to show.  For example...

43 minutes ago, STRUCTURA said:

why would terrain flow over a pad!!

Because that's what you told the program to do, and it may not be wrong.  I've seen that exact situation in the real world countless times. 

Here's what I typically tell people as a basic starting point though.  Terrains are all about:

1. Giving Chief the correct elevation data to work with
  2. Giving Chief enough elevation data to work with
  3. Not giving Chief conflicting or confusing elevation data (i.e. overlapping data or data placed too close together)
  4. Understanding the difference between defining your terrain (i.e. elevation data) and modifying the defined terrain (i.e. terrain modifiers).

But ya, post the plan and maybe you'll get some better advice.

Finally. Okay, here's my plan file. I'm a bit of a newb. I'm happy to have any help, and I know I probably am doing some really dumb things, but how do I get the terrain to honor pads for instance? I want the terrain to meet the edges of the pad and then flow away to the next defined terrain line.

Much appreciated.

TERRAIN_HELP_POSTED_TO_CHIEF-TALK_12-26-19.plan

On 12/26/2019 at 7:30 PM, STRUCTURA said:

how do I get the terrain to honor pads for instance?

You can't.  YOU have to define the terrain itself.  The pads (slabs) aren't terrain objects so they won't have any affect on the terrain at all.  I don't have a lot of time, but I'll leave you with the first few things that jump out at me...

447245400_terrainpic.thumb.png.5f3415ed34809e0c962e5c3dd39278e4.png

1. Your have defined your Terrain to be higher than your Slab (1) with an Elevation Line (2).  If that isn't correct, you should not have put that line there.  I would suggest you Break that line to cut out the section that overlaps your Slab.
  2. If you want the Terrain to flatten out at that Slab, you'll need to tell the program what the elevation should be in that area.  There are several ways to do so, but I would likely just use an Elevation Region (essentially just a closed Elevation Polyline) in the same basic shape as that slab set to Interior is Flat.
  3. You have included a Terrain Break (3) that essentially tells Chief for the generated terrain to ignore elevation data that you place on the opposite side.  I can't be sure, but I kinda doubt this is correct.  At the very least though you may need to add some elevation data (Elevation Line, Elevation Point, or Elevation Region) on the downhill side of that Terrain Break...otherwise, Chief doesn't have much of any kind of information to work with.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mark3D and Alaskan_Son

I apologize for the late reply. My life became a series of plane boardings and family events. I'm sure you've done it as well. I'm back in this now. I really appreciate the time and attention you gave to help me. I'll look this over and try to learn more about it now.

Best,

Brennan

Edited by STRUCTURA
added a name