Door & Window Headers - Question

Joe_Carrick

19 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

when doing a second floor over existing there are some point loads bearing on the existing headers all the time, so we need to install a new header there. pretty simple happens all the time

What Perry said plus...

Not only that but if the existing header is not adequate and there is another window opening going into the same wall (meaning in that room) or the existing header is within the construction building permit scope (material changes to the room that the header is in) the building department may require the header to be brought up to current code.

• Upvote 1

I realize I can go through and change every header to get what I need but there is no way to do it easily and chief actually makes it harder and more time consuming than it needs to be. I will usually draw the as-built first than change all my defaults to draw the new design--new vs, existing. When changing the (n) vs. (e) all the window header labels will change to new, even the existing ones. So I can't use the header default labels. I must always have that unchecked unless using a macro like Scott Hall shows earlier. I guess Michael doesn't have one. Does Joe  Carrick have one?

5 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I guess Michael doesn't have one. Does Joe  Carrick have one?

I do have some existing macro systems that would handle this just fine but they use the window label instead of the header label and would require that you totally change your current workflow.  I wish you would just try what I’m telling you though, it would be way easier.  You keep saying it won’t work but you’re incorrect and obviously haven’t tried it.  

• Upvote 1

On 12/29/2019 at 4:57 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

The reality is that the Headers are "framing members" and are not really coordinated with the Doors and Windows.  Only by using the Door and Window Labels in conjunction with a macro that recognizes the layer_set can you get a label that isn't effected by the automatic framing.

I think Joe has the answer, The automatic label just doesn't work for what I need. thanks for the effort Michael , I tried it your way it just isn't what I need. 

Ah, I see.  What you mean is "new headers in asbuilt openings."

I've done pop tops and understand completely.

My earlier take on it was it must be a California thing, needing to show all that stuff to the plans examiner, that is of no relevance to the new addition on the end of the house.

• 2 months later...
On 12/26/2019 at 3:12 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

When a Header is created by Chief it generally will be according to the size required by the opening width.  However, if the wall is too short to provide the required depth between the top plates and the top of the opening then Chief reduces the Header depth. 

IMO the software should instead do one of the following:

1. Show an error condition so that the user could take appropriate action (Preferred Option)
  2. Lower the "Top of the Opening" by whatever distance is needed to provide the correct header depth.

Either of the above would be IMO preferable to just reducing the Header depth.

What do you think should be done by the software?

Back at the original request, I think they could add a header check to the Tools-Check->Plan check

Right now I go into the wall detail, check the size of the header and compare to the schedule (After I go look up the label to remember which one it was). Not the most efficient