Perspective Crop Mode

DavidJPotter

How do you guys use this tool, please? I searched the Reference Manual and videos but have seen no examples of how or why to use it other than to zero in on an object in a camera view. It is not that I do not understand at all, rather I am interested as to why it is important to you and why that is, please.

DJP

I'm not really a fan of how it works, but I use it as a perspective "shift/adjustment." I have never understood why it is called a "crop" when it seems to only increase or decrease the amount of camera perspective. Anyway, to answer your question, I use it to get the camera perspective the way I want it and then turn it off for that view. That "locks" the perspective angle and I can zoom in or out without changing the perspective. I use it mostly on full overviews and not so much in floor cameras. I have messed up floor camera views so many times trying to use the tool that I usually just delete the camera and start over. It seems to me that it is too sensitive to every mouse scroll wheel zoom I make and I screw up the camera royally very quickly; IOW, one mouse wheel turn makes too great an adjustment. I don't know how to "dial it in" so that it works well for me. It does give me some very abstract images at times, but that's not what I am after.:) Sorry for the rambling.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ridge_Runner said:

I'm not really a fan of how it works, but I use it as a perspective "shift/adjustment." I have never understood why it is called a "crop" when it seems to only increase or decrease the amount of camera perspective. Anyway, to answer your question, I use it to get the camera perspective the way I want it and then turn it off for that view. That "locks" the perspective angle and I can zoom in or out without changing the perspective. I use it mostly on full overviews and not so much in floor cameras. I have messed up floor camera views so many times trying to use the tool that I usually just delete the camera and start over. It seems to me that it is too sensitive to every mouse scroll wheel zoom I make and I screw up the camera royally very quickly; IOW, one mouse wheel turn makes too great an adjustment. I don't know how to "dial it in" so that it works well for me. It does give me some very abstract images at times, but that's not what I am after.:) Sorry for the rambling.

Thanks for the response, I saw a discussion of this tool on Facebook and wanted to know what was being discussed, I looked it up in the Ref Manual but was sill wondering what the deal was. Thanks

I know guys that do a lot of heavy rendering use the tool to essentially lock their perspective.  Then they can zoom in or out and pan the camera without affecting what's actually in the camera's view.  Me personally?  I use it to inspect and modify very small or very narrow 3D geometry.  Like an Orthographic overview, it allows us to zoom in infinitely close but unlike an Orthographic view it also allows us access to internal elements.  I also use it to inspect and modify patterns and textures.  Its a very handy tool for sure.  

• Upvote 1

Yep, I just finished chatting with Jintu in the Philippines, probably the best consistent render person I know, and he strongly agrees. I just recently found out about the tool, read the manual and then practiced using i and found it quite useful. I posted this question to get more reality on its uses and importance.

DJP