Muntins tool icon

sweethomedesign

You have to draw the lines / arcs etc., of the muntins you wish to create, then group select all  lines  click make CAD Block edit button, then reselect the door or window you drew the lines / arcs on to create the custom muntins, you should then get the Load Muntins edit tool to convert the CAD block into custom muntins. Remember if you window has more than one sash (like a double hung) you have to create a cad block for each pane.

Hope this helps. 

On 12/23/2019 at 8:33 PM, Richard_Morrison said:

Are you making the CAD Block first? It won't work with just lines.

2 hours ago, Evolution said:

You have to draw the lines / arcs etc., of the muntins you wish to create, then group select all  lines  click make CAD Block edit button, then reselect the door or window you drew the lines / arcs on to create the custom muntins, you should then get the Load Muntins edit tool to convert the CAD block into custom muntins. Remember if you window has more than one sash (like a double hung) you have to create a cad block for each pane.

Hope this helps. 

I personally do these just often enough to sometimes forget the cad block step and spend several moments trying to figure out why that darn button doesn't show up.  Then I remember oh yeah make it a cad block (like these guys just said) and it faithfully shows up like it should.  :)  Only difficult part is certain Chief glass doors will not do it properly as I guess there is probably a bug in the way those doors were built.  But you can usually find another one in a manufactures catalog that shows what you want to show.  

20 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Only difficult part is certain Chief glass doors will not do it properly as I guess there is probably a bug in the way those doors were built.

Not a bug.  The tool was only designed to work with the parametric behaviors of the Glass Panel doors.  Those are the only doors where Chief knows very specifically what is glass and what is not.  Door symbols are a different creature entirely and are just dumb 3D geometry so it's not too surprising that special functionality of the Custom Muntins tool doesn't work in those. 

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Not a bug.  The tool was only designed to work with the parametric behaviors of the Glass Panel doors.  Those are the only doors where Chief knows very specifically what is glass and what is not.  Door symbols are a different creature entirely and are just dumb 3D geometry so it's not too surprising that special functionality of the Custom Muntins tool doesn't work in those. 

I understand some are not designed for that but unless they fixed it one of the 3/4 or even full lite glass doors doesn't work with the custom muntins.  Fortunately there is the identical door in the Tru-bilt manufacturer catalog.  It has been a minute since I used it last so don't recall which one it was off hand.

8 minutes ago, rgardner said:

one of the 3/4 or even full lite glass doors doesn't work with the custom muntins.

Again, it's because they aren't parametric (smart) objects.  They're just dumb door symbols made up of various triangular faces so there's really nothing to fix.  If you want a 3/4 or full light door than you should use an appropriately sized Glass Panel door. 

7 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Again, it's because they aren't parametric (smart) objects.  They're just dumb door symbols made up of various triangular faces so there's really nothing to fix.  If you want a 3/4 or full light door than you should use an appropriately sized Glass Panel door. 

Ok so I am confused then?  Because all of their others 3/4 1/2 and full lite doors work just those two didn’t for me???  Maybe I am remembering it wrong?  I will have to get to my computer in a bit to figure out which one it was now.  I do specifically remember it was odd because they were from the core library yet worked differently.