Measuring Ceiling Height With Sloped Ceilings?

Chrisw1

I'm working on some small homes that qualify for Tiny Home Appendix Q and I need to measure the ceiling height at a landing to a loft and on several stars. Given that the roof is sloped, what is the best way to determine ceiling height as specific areas a floor or step? 

I am using Home Designer Pro 2020

Thanks!

____

Chris 

Home Designer Pro 2020 User

7 minutes ago, Chrisw1 said:

I'm working on some small homes that qualify for Tiny Home Appendix Q and I need to measure the ceiling height at a landing to a loft and on several stars. Given that the roof is sloped, what is the best way to determine ceiling height as specific areas a floor or step? 

I am using Home Designer Pro 2020

Thanks!

____

Chris 

Home Designer Pro 2020 User

•  

Hey Chris, have you read "APPENDIX Q TINY HOUSES" (not shouting, just pasting!)

Checkout section AQ102.2.1.2. Headroom.

23 minutes ago, Chrisw1 said:

I have read it and I designing based on those requirements.

My question is about the software. How do you measure ceiling heights at specific locations in a room or on a staircase?

OK. Create a Cross Section / Elevation view, and save the view. Within that view you can add CAD items like text and dimensions, etc. For what you've descirbed, I'd create the view cutting the sloped ceiling and landing. Then you can add a CAD line or points and dimension as needed.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/16/cross-section-elevation-views.html?playlist=102

30 minutes ago, solver said:

Pro and Chief share some features, but there are many differences and few people here understand them.

Amen.  I appreciate you always chiming in with the correct website for HD users.  I really think people who try to help them here and who encourage them to follow this forum and really unwittingly doing these guys a huge disservice.  The vast majority of the time, the advice they're given by Chief users here simply won't work in HD.  And very few HD users have any clue how to filter through the information here.  They could spend all day looking for a tool or capability they don't even have.