Troubleshooting

Hammer7

Good morning,

I'm trying to repair a dormer.  I just switched from Home Designer to Chief and I'm working on learning many new available features and trying to learn all I can as quickly as I can.  There are some lines in this sample screenshot that were created at some point and I do not know what they are or how to select and manipulate them.  Any help that anyone has in there identifications and adjustment is appreciated.  Thank you

dormer.png

If you're referring to the dotted lines inside your red circle, they look like ceiling break lines (some of them are ceiling break lines). These ceiling breaks are generated when the roof planes are put in. If you change your ceiling height in that area, you'll see those ceiling break lines move too. If you do a section view, you'll be able to see what's going on there.

Thank you Tommy, I was not specific because some of the nomenclature I'm unfamiliar with.  It is not the ceiling lines but the dormer walls, the right side of the left dormer is corrupted and I'm not yet able to figure out how to heal it or even how to select it.  The right side dormer is fine but the left is messed up.

I'm no expert, but I took a look at your plan, and see several little issues that are probably frustrating you. It looked like the roof was the main culprit for your dormer wall, so I adjusted that, you may also notice that the other dormer has different size boxed eaves, so you may want to revisit that as well. Hope that helps.

Cape_Modifications_Rp.plan

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2019 at 9:22 AM, Hammer7 said:

Good morning,

I'm trying to repair a dormer.  I just switched from Home Designer to Chief and I'm working on learning many new available features and trying to learn all I can as quickly as I can.  There are some lines in this sample screenshot that were created at some point and I do not know what they are or how to select and manipulate them.  Any help that anyone has in there identifications and adjustment is appreciated.  Thank you

dormer.png

I've done a few videos on Dormers that you may want to watch...they aren't specific to your dormer but you might learn something. Just FYI.  

Looks like Eric has once again been very helpful...thank you Eric!

Eric's video was very helpful.  I'm a lot closer now after learning and trying the reflect about copy technique.  I was successful with the second method and with the transform replicate I'm still getting an error message when I try to join the roofs even though they are all 12 pitch.  This is the inside view witch is better but still not joined properly.  The little items poking out of the ceiling look like the program building a boxed eave on this inside edge of the dormer roof...?

I'll post the roof message too.

inside.png

Overall things are looking better but I understand the geometry of the roof planes but do not know how to adjust them and where the controls are located.  I changed the eave overhead setting and shortened the soffits yet there is still something poking through the inside ceiling.  I'll try again later, 

roofs.png

user error,  So I was trying to tweak and improve some small items towards the end of the day yesterday and I corrupted part of my drawing.  Is it recommended that one turns off certain auto generated features to avoid this?  What I don't really understand is how these dormer exteriors autogenerated in an asymmetrical manner?  small changes  big results

Subtle changes big effects.png