Garage Door "Swing"?

BryceEngstrom

In the attached plan you will find two identical garage doors.  If you just place them or copy them randomly, they stay identical as far as the schedule,  but, if I place the first one, and then copy/reflect one to the other side, I end up with two different doors in my schedule where there is, apparently, an L and an R.  But the swing option is greyed out in the dbx.

I don't want two different doors in my schedule.  

What gives with this?

I know I can work around it.  Just wondered what I might be missing here.

Garage Door Swing.zip

post-67-0-12648700-1394056863_thumb.jpg

Mirrored, I'm not.

So essentially, by mirroring the door it caused it to be considered opposite hand even thou CA doesn't allow yo to change the hand.

I ran into a similar problem with Sliding Glass Doors.  I wanted to change one from the inside face of the wall to the outside face.  But when I picked that edit bar icon it simply changed the slide side but didn't move the door to the opposite side of the wall.  I guess it did what it was indicating but for some reason it just centers on the wall.

I guess I'll just send it in as a bug then.  Just a bummer when you are trying to use tools to your advantage time-wise but end up having to place them and dimension them manually on the other side even though you just want them exactly the same as the opposite side.  Works for so many other things, but not, apparently this one.

Watching you, I am ;)

Definitely the 'DARK SIDE'!

BTW: Do you like the original 'muppet-like' Yoda or the CGI version.  I tend to like the original....  CGI is great in some respects, heck, look at what they did with Christopher Lee (Count Dooku), Geez, this guy was born in 1922, with 279 acting credits on IMDb.  Apparently, at 92 years young he is still working hard on the next 'Hobbit' movie (There and back again)...  Amazing...

Thinking of it, Perry's avatar somewhat resembles him (take away the sunglasses)... :rolleyes:

BEWARE...of door schedules.  I have a plan that has 4 interior doors in the basement, two LH, and 2 RH.  The door schedule lists all four of them as RH doors with the SAME D15 label.  I am currently not using door schedules any more for my Construction Drawings.  If you insist on using them, please take the time to individually check EVERY SINGLE DOOR before you give it to a customer, or the trim supplier, as YOU don't want to have to eat the cost of a door by specifying the wrong swing on your plans.

Alan,

There are 2 ways of avoiding this in the Door Schedule:

1.  Do not include the Hinge Side column.

2.  Uncheck Group Similar Objects.

I don't know why the Schedule doesn't consider Hinge Side as a difference.  That seems to be a bug that should be fixed.  Actually, anything that isn't the same in all columns shouldn't be considered as similar.

IAE, sometimes providing too much information to the contractor and sub-contractors can get you in trouble.  :D

Joe,

Not the case with my plan.  I did not have hinge side displayed.  I unchecked group similar, and it still read those doors as LH, when they should have been RH.  My understanding is it was because it has something to do with what "direction" the interior walls were drawn.  If I "reverse layers" on those walls, they read correctly.

Try this: draw 4 walls.  Split it with one interior wall.  Add door. Create schedule. Note swing. Now reverse wall layers. Note swing.

EVERYBODY NEEDS TO DOUBLE & TRIPPLE CHECK DOOR SCHEDULES IF YOUR GOING TO USE THEM.

I never include the Hinge Side column, and agree that less is more most of the time in these kinds of schedules.  It is almost never that clients decide that much about what doors they want ahead of time. The problem is that the "L" and "R" show up as part of the Size column which we apparently have zero control over.

Thanks for the tip Alan, I am also seeing issues like that, or the opposite where doors ought to be grouped and aren't.  I can't figure what the difference is in them, other than, possibly, having done the copy/reflect on them too.  Note in this screen capture of the plan I have the garage doors issue with showing a left and a right swinging door with the same callout.  This is a serious problem that I will add to my bug report.

And, these doors ought to be different because one is in a 2x4 wall and one is in a 2x6 wall, so they would have different jamb widths too.

post-67-0-12208200-1394127497_thumb.jpg