"walls, Layers" In Layer Set

amddrafting

Is there any way to create a copy of this particular layer and set walls to it so that only those wall's layers will turn off?

If not then I will make the suggestion that maybe we can get a tool in the wall dbx that will assign the walls "Layers" to the layer set of your choosing.

I'm working on a building I want to do separate exterior and interior layouts given the nature of how it's going to be built.  I've created separate wall layers so I can display them how I want in each layout, but I can not turn off the interior layer color separately and therefore if I want my exterior walls filled I have to have my interior walls filled too.  Me no likey this way.

Yeah, Joe that doesn't get me where I need to go.  The only real way to get what I need is to either:

a.) Turn on "Walls, Main Layer only"; create a plan foot print by creating CAD details from View; highlight all of the walls and make them dashed.  Highlight the CAD lines then create a block.  Copy and past in place back in the plan set.  Create an interior wall layer and and exterior wall layer, then a layer for the footprint block I just created.  Then turn off the interior wall layer and turn on the CAD block.

or

b.) Copy the plan (and hope I don't forget to make changes to both whenever I need to update changes)  Create layer sets and wall sets with each filled depending on which views I need

Both take a lot of productivity time and both have issues when it comes to revisions.

Why go through all the trouble when there might be an easier way to do this?  I think my suggestion holds enough weight to consider.  Why shouldn't we be able to control the fill of individual wall without having to create new walls or even new plans, in some cases, to get the wall to display how we want them to display?  If we didn't have walls that defined spaces like we do then doing remodels and other things like I'm doing would be a no brainer.  You could create two walls put them in the exact same location and have one filled and one not and have each on a different layer and then you could turn on the one you needed when you needed it.  But because of how CA works that is impossible.  So therefore the simple solution would be an individual control check box in the wall dbx.  Check on to display fill, check off to display no fill.  Simple as that.  

OK, this can be done:

1.  Pink Filled Wall superimposed on the Blue Filled Wallpost-47-0-29339400-1412903917_thumb.jpg

2.  Pink Filled Wall Layer turned offpost-47-0-11074500-1412903932_thumb.jpg

3.  Blue Filled Wall Layer turned offpost-47-0-76520500-1412903946_thumb.jpg

The Blue Filled Wall is a Normal Wall.

The Pink Filled Wall is a No Locate and No Room Definition Wall

The fill on these walls could be anything you want and the Layers could be any layers.

Here, I stretched the No Locate Wall completely across to the exterior walls and made the fill a black transparent angled crosshatch.post-47-0-11930100-1412904867_thumb.jpg

BTW, if you save such a wall to the Library, you can then select it and draw right over normal walls without effecting them at all because the Wall is No Locate & No Room Definition.

I don't know if this is what you want or not, but I was horsing around w/ the Wall Hatch tool & discovered that even when you change the default fill of the wall hatching & move it from "Walls, Hatching" to another layer, it still  stretches w/ the wall & moves w/ it too. The hatching can get a little funky at wall intersections if they are not both hatched, but...

I didn't realize wall hatching was this developed. I've used it plenty of times before, but always after walls were in place.

The wall hatching is the overall width of the wall & can't be edited (I don't think). You can delete it but not move it off the wall. You can edit the ends to clean that up.

Interesting.

Is there a way to change the default fill?

That definitely can be handy for existing/ remodel situations.  Nice tip Joe.

The only thing it doesn't work for is my situation the fact that I'm using the walls to display differently on interior and exterior but need them all to be "Located" and Defining room.  I mean, I could use that method, but It would probably just be as much work as the methods I use, with the exception that it might be easier to keep up with changes.  I'll see if I can make it work for me.