Client Viewers

mikes616

Hi All,

It's been a few years since I used a client viewer.  I see that there is now a 3D Client viewer but it looks much more complicated than I would like to send to my client.  Furthermore, it doesn't seem to have some simple things I need to be displayed.  For example, they need to see the room dimensions and room area displayed for each space- should be simple.  I also want the client to see the regular floor plans displayed showing the various wall layers displayed.  Am I missing something?  I thought I would be able to send them the plan files that they could look at with the viewer.  Please help.  X11 user.  Thanks.

Mark

sending a client the .plan file before final payment may not be a good idea

as they could take that file and seek the services of another

If you have a client use a viewer be prepared to act as their tech support and their training agent

The viewer is a cut-down version of Chief and unless the client is computer savvy and capable

of learning the ways of Chief on their own they will seek assistance from you

it is usually better to send PDF's from a layout prepared for a client

there are tree types of layouts:

1. a permit set - a set of drawings aimed solely at getting a permit - usually under 10-12 pages on 11 x 17 paper

2. a construction set - a detailed set of drawings that contain everything a builder would need, including drawings for all the trades 

usually for new homes or serious renovations - usually 40+ pages on 24 x 36 paper or larger - formerly called "blueprints"

3. a client set - a set of drawings to convey "pretty pictures" to satisfy clients who prefer not to use "blueprints" for decision making

I named my .layout files as .layps, or .laycd or .laycp as needed

I had a client for a $1.6M new home who insisted he did not need 3D views

then after the builder aborted the project due to illness I met with the client

and brought a .laycp PDF printout of views I planned to place on my website

one look and he insisted that I let his wife see them as she had no understanding of "blueprints"

and they were an amazing depiction of the homes grandeur

Lew