Missing Layout files

JNWArchitect

Just spent most of last Saturday working on a set of custom home plans. Opened the Layout drawing today and got a notification that several (many) of the plan drawings sent to layout were missing. Had no option but to cancel out of each alert box and then found that many of the plan files sent to the Layout were no longer there! All of my reflected ceiling plans, electrical plans and 8 exterior elevations no longer were linked between .plan and .layout. AND the plan files don't even show the data!

Fortunately, I made a PDF of the file before i closed it last weekend that I can use temporarily (you know... the year end code-change rush!) , but I'll now need to spend another bunch of hours recreating the drawings. (I attached the A5 & A6 sheets as they appeared last weekend, but now even the .plan files don't show this info.)

Love the program, but this kind of s**t drives me nuts!

1933_Base.layout

1933_Base.plan

A5_121219.pdf

A6_121219.pdf

Edited by JNWArchitect
Added PDFs from last weekend

Bummer. I hate that. Have you looked into your program Archive folder? Most of your file should be there. No need to redo the plan.

When you find it, make sure not to rename the file. It will be called "youproject"_auto_save_bak.layout. You will need to make this your primary file name. If you change it, all the plan files will be disassociated.

Good luck

This usually happens when your plan and layout link is broken (one or the other was saved in the wrong place). I assume you're saving the files on your hard drive (using the SAM) save as method?   You may try re-linking the layout with the plan files. Open the layout, go up to Tools>Layout>Referenced Plan Files.....this should open the plan reference files, you select the plan file you were using to send to layout, select it, and that should re-link layouts with the plan.

If that doesn't work, then you can go to the CA archives, and select the latest plan / layout you were working on when last saved, and hopefully you won't have to do a lot of work - over. BTW it would benefit all if you would fill out your signature with the software version and computer info. You go up to the right corner and select open your profile, then select account setting, then select signature in that menu. Oh, and it is also a good idea not to save PDF on the forum so we don't have to open them. You can do screen captures saved as png and (I usually save them on my desk top) then select and drag into the post so all we have to do is just clink on them.

There is no "Archive" folder in my Chief Architect Premier (X11) folder...

The Tools>Layout>Referenced plan Files didn't do anything. It is linked to the correct plan file, but for some reason that plan file is missing the data.

I appreciate your help though... just looks like i get to spend more time (that I do not have) to re-do everything. :-(

I was able to find the archive file in the OneDrive folder (which i never use), but there wasn't anything different in that file that would help.

Edited by JNWArchitect
Last line

My best guess is that you changed your data folder in preferences to a drive that you are no longer connected to or that you later changed it to a new location.  Another possible reason is that you have been working on multiple machines and have not properly transferred all of the necessary files between them.  In either case, your plan files probably still exist but neither you nor the program can currently find them. 

There could be any number of other reasons that you can't find your files but I wouldn't be able to make any other guesses without a lot more information.  You could always try contacting technical support and they may be more helpful because they are more far experienced with these kind of problems than I am.

I would also strongly encourage you to review the basics regarding file management.  We have a number of training videos and help articles that you may find helpful:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/search/?default_tab=all&q=file+management

Thanks Dermot for your response, but I have one folder for all of my project files. Within that folder they are separated by job number and within each of those i have a drawing folder (along with correspondence and images folders) This has been my standard operating procedure since i first started using CAD. (AutoCAD for twenty years prior) I have not changed folders or drives at all, recently or otherwise. The weird thing is that it seems like the plan file was not saved after the last session. But i save things religiously since I've had issues before by NOT saving a file. The fact that there isn't even a .bak file for the plan file in ANY folder (archives or otherwise) is also puzzling. I think it is the holiday grinch! No, seriously! Every single year around Christmas time my computer does something to cause me serious headache. One year the entire hard drive crashed and i had many projects that i had to re-do. (Now I back up regularly as well. - Come to think of it, I better check those archives...) Anyway, I appreciate all of your guy's help, but I think i'm just scr**wed again.

3 hours ago, JNWArchitect said:

There is no "Archive" folder in my Chief Architect Premier (X11) folder...

It is in the Chief DATA folder in My Documents unless you moved it elsewhere , not in the Chief Program Folder......

image.thumb.png.55bb0e8547eb032f479be5eff721410c.png  >>>>>> image.thumb.png.89690307e533efc739dcfa13f65001b3.png 

Just to update... The actual 'layout' file was not lost. It was most, but not all of the 'layout sets' that were sent to that layout that went 'missing'. (& still are)

I had a site plan and several portions of that site plan at a different scale (layout sets 1,2 & 3) a main floor plan (layout set 4), a second floor plan (layout set 5) and some of the elevations (layout sets 6,7 & 8) that still show up correctly on my main LAYOUT sheet.

Unfortunately, there were a lot more (~dozen) layout sets that no longer are linked between the .plan file and the .layout file.

(Ceiling plan, roof plan,several interior elevations, electrical plan - 1st floor, electrical plan -2nd floor, etc.)

Those were layout sets 9, 10, 11 and higher. These are still missing.

I had printed the file to a PDF before they disappeared so I was able to use that to get the deadline met (kinda) However, once I receive plan check corrections, I'm sure I'll have to spend the time to 'regenerate' the missing layout sets.

Still, I appreciate all of the kind words, help and encouragement from all of you!

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Happy New Year!

On 12/12/2019 at 3:52 PM, JNWArchitect said:

The weird thing is that it seems like the plan file was not saved after the last session.

I think this is the key to your whole entire issue.  I would really look very carefully into which folder is being used for your Archives, where that folder is located, how that folder is being accessed, what your Auto Archive settings are, and what your Auto Save settings are.  If for example you're using One Drive and you lose your internet connection temporarily, your files may not get backed up.  In addition, your files won't get backed up if you have Auto Save toggled off.  And your files also may not get backed up in time if you have Auto Save set to too high a value. 

• Like 1

Alaskan_son- I just was simplifying my response as I didn’t have the file available and I had 22-25 layout sets in the drawings. You are probably correct with the plan archive file comment and I will look into it this week. It really looks to me like it wasn’t saved when or where I thought it was.