Importing Just One Annotation Set

wjmdes

I am trying to do some house cleaning and created a new annotation set, saved the file and removed all the other annotation sets except the one I needed and exported it. The goal was to be able to import this and just have this imported.

I started to import to a different older plan file and had 2 unacceptable results depending on how I chose the options.

import.JPG.494e505a8c02425c3585941a9a879b65.JPG

Overwrite and Replace checked deletes all the other anno sets in the plan file, ALL OF  THEM!

Just Rename checked and every Callout, Text, Rich Text, Arrow, Marker, etc default I have gets duplicated.

Defaults.thumb.JPG.536ac72bed404e5dece7e30e40e785d9.JPG

I am not sure what kind of damage Replace Defaults would do to an older file.  I did go in and delete all the text styles defaults except the new one, and that did solve those duplicating.

I used the search term "import annotation" and did get this.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01167/setting-up-a-custom-annotation-set-and-importing-it-into-another-file.html

They are starting from a "new plan" but they do not address the import options. 

I am hoping there is a simple answer as, after years of using this program, I have added several annotation sets I want to use on other drawings.  I am trying to assemble a productive plan template and I keep hitting roadblocks.  

37 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

I am trying to do some house cleaning and created a new annotation set, saved the file and removed all the other annotation sets except the one I needed and exported it. The goal was to be able to import this and just have this imported.

I keep hitting roadblocks.  

You should check "replace existing defaults/overwrite existing defaults" Since you are establishing a SAM .plan no sense in keeping the existing defaults as these are .plan specific only, as opposed to global program parameters/preferences/defaults.

I'm going to be doing some house cleaning myself soon. I'm actually getting requests from people looking to purchase my anno sets and as such have noticed some problems in my old methods.

What I'll tell you is this, down the line you may want to keep as much of the OOTB naming conventions as possible to be able to coordinate with a greater number of end-users.

My existing Annos all use custom names that are a standard of practice in my jurisdiction, but pose problems when working with a global market.

My two cents :)

Good luck!

24 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

You should check "replace existing defaults/overwrite existing defaults"

I am definitely paying for not setting this up right from the beginning, but when I started using this I had no idea how it worked.  

I worry about replacing existing defaults writing over something I have already fixed/changed to work the way I want it to.

I have the same issues as you Bill and it doesn't seem like the Feature is setup to import just 1 annoset into Older Plans , I have tried it too in Older plans or Other Users Plans I'm helping, but you need the new Defaults to be brought in with the New Annoset ( since basically an annoset is just a group of defaults) so accepting duplicates in Older plans maybe the only way to do it and perhaps not "lose" some setting. If you are building a New template plan however you could perhaps overwrite/replace as Renee mentioned.

M.

On 12/12/2019 at 8:51 PM, Kbird1 said:

I have the same issues as you Bill and it doesn't seem like the Feature is setup to import just 1 annoset into Older Plans ,

I think my best option is to spend a day and get these defaults the way I want them.  These specific defaults are a good one to overwrite, so...in my spare time....