Moving objects or groups of objects a specific distance

DH7777

In AutoCAD, I can grab an object or objects, pull my cursor with the object in tow, and type in a specific measurement (1in., 2ft. etc.) hit enter and the object snaps into the position in the direction I want. I understand the point to point command chief has, but that is not what I need because that doesn't allow me to move the object the way I just explained. To be specific: I am trying to move a complete second floor 1/2" to line up with the first floor(it is off) I do not want to move wall by wall into position.  Also on a side note: Is there an offset command in chief? Any help would be great! Thanks...

2 hours ago, DH7777 said:

In AutoCAD, I can grab an object or objects, pull my cursor with the object in tow, and type in a specific measurement (1in., 2ft. etc.) hit enter and the object snaps into the position in the direction I want. I understand the point to point command chief has, but that is not what I need because that doesn't allow me to move the object the way I just explained. To be specific: I am trying to move a complete second floor 1/2" to line up with the first floor(it is off) I do not want to move wall by wall into position.  Also on a side note: Is there an offset command in chief? Any help would be great! Thanks...

Just going to add my two cents- For this SPECIFIC scenario I personally would do as follows to ensure everything is aligned.

1. Draw a CAD line(or point) to the corner of your structure on your reference floor
  2. Copy that line and paste-hold-position onto your 2nd floor
  3. Select all on 2nd floor(optional but not necessary-shift deselect the CAD line)
  4. Point to point move to the CAD line.

That whole operation takes less than 30 seconds..When I train I always remind people the power of a making temporary, simple CAD lines...it can be used as a bump stop, reflect about line, and reference markers plus much much more. 

2 hours ago, DH7777 said:

I actually use Transform/Replicate most of the time...I have a "hot key" assigned...so, for me it's 0,0...tab to the X and/or Y field...enter distance.  Done. 10 seconds or less....:)

4 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

When I train I always remind people the power of a making temporary, simple CAD lines...it can be used as a bump stop, reflect about line, and reference markers plus much much more. 

Totally agree. Make the CAD lines your friend. Thru a project I will usually place several of them on a "temp" CAD layer so I can turn them off before condocs.

13 hours ago, DH7777 said:

Use Tab or Transform/Replicate per others, BUT I too came from Acad and I have suggested several times in the forum that Chief add the ability to move the selected objects in the desired direction and simply type the distance.   Hopefully that will happen some day.

As for offset...  I too miss the simplicity of the offset command in Acad, but there is a fairly close equivalent called 'Concentric Behavior'.  Hit the F1 key in Chief look it up.  You can map the behavior to a hot key, or better yet I recently learned to map it to one of the extra side buttons on my mouse.  

For ortho movements , you can also use the Snap Grid/Snap Units setting.

Then, once you have made your selection (with Edit Area or one of the other selection methods), just drag it and the selection will jump in accordance with the Snap Grid/Snap units setting.

Or, what I find easier once the selection is made, is to use 1 click of the arrow key to move the selection in the direction you want to move.