Different handrail on one side than the other

rwaldrondesigns

I am working on these stairs and I want to have the look we can see on the open side, but a single wall handrail on the other side. I tried removing the rail on the balustrade side and drawing a rail, but that deleted my wall under the stairs, so I'm wondering if there is a better way.

Pardon the imperfections- the design/drawing is not done yet.

drawing.png

3 minutes ago, rwaldrondesigns said:

Okay, I turned off the railing on the wall side here, because it was less distracting. I do want a railing on the wall though. I just don't want it to match the railing on the open side.

Did you try this:

image.thumb.png.b10097c0c8d997b306112a9f5b454b1e.png

Rachael,

Probably the best way to do this is to create a full height "Railing Wall" in the plan (adjacent to the stairs) consisting of the vertical members (balusters) and make it "No Room Def" and "No Locate".  Then move it into position.  After that, select it in a Section/Elevation View and edit the shape to follow the stairs.

Rachael,

Once you have the taller balustrades positioned "on the stairs" vs "next to them" you need to display in elevation and edit the bottom up to the stairs.  That will give you what Eric shows.  It's just a matter of editing the Polyline created by the 3D wall editor.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, rwaldrondesigns said:

Eric's got it for the most part- where you have the green railing in the second photo, I want there to be nothing. But, I DO want those taller balustrades.The way Joe and Rob show/describe puts the railing next to the stairs, not stopping at the tread, the way Eric has it.

My example was an existing rendering from a previous project and was only meant to illustrate the technique / methods. It's very simple to drag those railing walls under the stairs, or drag the stairs over the wall. To edit the wall shape, take a section view of the wall from the stair side. That way you can edit the walls shape to the 'cross section lines' of the stair. If you'd like more specific help, zip and post your plan. Once you've accomplished it, please post some more images!

Here's my version of Rachel's stairs: and yes I have nothing else to do :)

-2 landings at the bottom

-p-solid for stringer/trim at wall (for correct grain direction)

-p-solids for vertical members

-added lights to represent light rail below the handrail

stairs1.thumb.jpg.488b95980001da0aff78e4ad64b9f8b6.jpg