New Mac Pro

Ridge_Runner

Any of you Mac users going to order the new fully upgraded Mac Pro? for $50,000? And don't forget the wheels; they come extra for $400 more! Might as well get the matching monitor for another $6,000 with its matching special Apple cleaning cloth. After all, it's only money, right?

If you do order one, please let us know how it holds up running Chief. I might want to consider one, maybe used, when the price drops later. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm sure the new Mac Pro will be fast, but the main problem will be with Chief itself.  Unless an app is designed to take advantage of certain things like Apple Afterburner (which is mostly related to Video) and other aspects of this beast, the increase in performance simply won't begin to justify the cost.

If you do a search on YouTube about people disappointed with the Apple Mac Pro - you will see they say a similar thing.

As an unrelated point, I really wish the folks at Chief would find a away to align the app for use with Nvidia's Quadro products.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/design-visualization/quadro/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I bought a mac mini with the thunderbolt ports - got the 6-core 3.2/4.5 GHz boost model for $2k. Then did an eGPU using the thunderbolt port which plugs in between the mini and my monitor, and in that I installed the Radeon 8GB video card. 

Honestly it rocks and is very fast - but the bluetooth on the mini sucks it gets interference and had to go back to a wired keyboard. Other than that, very happy. It honestly shows some of the flaws in the CA architecture - specifically in layout - as everything runs so fast you can see when CA is struggling to keep up.

My other machine is a Macbook Pro w/2GB Video card and especially when doing larger models or Layout items the new one shows it's value.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, kylejmarsh said:

Then did an eGPU using the thunderbolt port which plugs in between the mini and my monitor, and in that I installed the Radeon 8GB video card. 

Thank you so much for posting this! I love my Mac mini and often brag how well it runs CA but not PBR. I had no idea this tech existed. Takes some hacking for my non-TB3 older mini but after doing some research I think this option will save me from having to either buy a more powerful Mac or switch to PC platform.

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Chrisb222 said:

Thank you so much for posting this! I love my Mac mini and often brag how well it runs CA but not PBR. I had no idea this tech existed. Takes some hacking for my non-TB3 older mini but after doing some research I think this option will save me from having to either buy a more powerful Mac or switch to PC platform.

Thanks again.

I almost went this route but decided since I didn’t have a very fast processor and everyone was selling their 6.1 units for good deals on eBay so they can buy the new Mac Pro  I would take advantage and got a 1 year old Mac Pro 6.1.

• 2 weeks later...

I figured Id report back another anomaly..which i believe nearly guarantees the problem is with Apple or driver. 

My favorite scale setting was the second smallest.  When I change to a larger text, or even a smaller text, things smooth out for me greatly.  Going larger (smaller resolution) would make sense I suppose, but going smaller (greater resolution) also works, and that is really something bizarre.  I'm just reporting my experience in case it helps someone else.

Lastly, if anyone is thinking about buying a 16" MacBook - its a great machine, it really is.  17" monitors are a bit too large for me since I travel a fair bit - 15" is too small at HD scale to draft effectively.  This 16" Monitor and the resolution it can handle is really a treat.  I do think I made a mistake not maxing out the Video Ram - and that is one thing I wish i could do over....and will in future models.

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 3.52.42 PM.png