Moving Wall, Walls snap to 1/16ths

Ins0mnia

This is an issue I've been fighting with for a while, maybe someone has an answer.  In chief architect Premier, when moving walls on some plans, the walls never snap to a whole inch.  For instance, The dimension of a room is 10'6 7/16.  I don't want it to be 7/16".  I need it to be 10'6, but it never allows me to move it to the whole inch, every move includes 1/6ths of an inch.  Using Cntrl lets me free move the wall, but I really just need it to snap to whole inches, and not some fraction thereof.  It's one of the more frustrating issues of chief architect.  I like being able to move the wall by fractions of an inch if necessary, but I need it to allow me to snap to a whole number.

You need to be aware that once you have drawn an object that is "off grid", it will not snap to the grid if you try and move it.

Rather, the object will move in increments of whatever the Snap Grid setting is.

Newly drawn objects will snap to the grid.

And on top of that, the wall will snap to the grid using the Resize About setting.

So, for your existing walls, move them with Tab move, or with dimensions.

Display a grid with a large setting like about 2 or 3 feet and play around with moving an existing object and drawing a new object to see how they are influenced by the grid and the Resize About setting.

• Upvote 2

Why use the snap grid at all, when you can control everything with a dimension, down to thousandths of an inch?  My day job we use Inventor and AutoCAD and I don't use snaps/grid there either (and we design/build everything from plant steel to mechanical parts with GT), and never had a an issue.  So my curiosity to you all is asking why is it used, except for a good starting point?  

As has been posted you can set the snap grid increment in General Plan Defaults". Personally, I learned Chief before the advent of "snap Grids" so my "profile.plan" has them turned off. Actually, I have several students that use snap grid and are happy with it. A salient point on anything in Chief is to fully study a tool in the reference manual and then practice using that tool in Chief, otherwise you, to some degree are the effect of your own ignorance. To be honest, I have not studied every possible tool in Chief Architect Premier because I do not commonly use every tool that exists in Chief but the ones I do use, I have studied and practiced with so I can just use them and not have them as an opponent.

DJP

17 hours ago, Ins0mnia said:

This is an issue I've been fighting with for a while, maybe someone has an answer.  In chief architect Premier, when moving walls on some plans, the walls never snap to a whole inch.  For instance, The dimension of a room is 10'6 7/16.  I don't want it to be 7/16".  I need it to be 10'6, but it never allows me to move it to the whole inch, every move includes 1/6ths of an inch.  Using Cntrl lets me free move the wall, but I really just need it to snap to whole inches, and not some fraction thereof.  It's one of the more frustrating issues of chief architect.  I like being able to move the wall by fractions of an inch if necessary, but I need it to allow me to snap to a whole number.

My Snap Grid is set at 1" by Default- see attached DBX image. As you can see, it's also Turned Off and maybe mine is snapping to something different?

16 hours ago, glennw said:

You need to be aware that once you have drawn an object that is "off grid", it will not snap to the grid if you try and move it.

Rather, the object will move in increments of whatever the Snap Grid setting is.

Whether or not you work with grids on, the setting you use can be important.
Per Glenn's comment, the Snap Grid setting not only sets the grid, but the increment for moving objects with the arrow keys. 
I usually work with grids turned off, but frequently use the arrow keys to move objects by increments set in my snap setting. I prefer 1/2".

7 hours ago, DzinEye said:

Per Glenn's comment, the Snap Grid setting not only sets the grid, but the increment for moving objects with the arrow keys. 

That is why the setting is called Snap Grid/Snap Units and not just Snap Grid.