Area calculation

PrimeArch

You drew a one room house.  House area is measured to outside of walls, not middle or inside.  Check with your local jurisdiction to find how property records are done for taxation, for bank lending, and in doing building permitting.

Real estate goes the same way, to outside of building lines.  Room figures are typically given in inside wall to wall dimensions, not in areas.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

You drew a one room house.  House area is measured to outside of walls, not middle or inside.  Check with your local jurisdiction to find how property records are done for taxation, for bank lending, and in doing building permitting.

Real estate goes the same way, to outside of building lines.  Room figures are typically given in inside wall to wall dimensions, not in areas.

Hmm.. Today i learned something big from your comment. When you mentioned about tax, bank, building property.. that changed my whole perspective how 'area' calculation should be.  Thank you so much and I really appreciated your simple comment. 

By default, the program will calculate the living area using the outside of the main layer of your walls.  You can change this to use the wall surface instead in your General Plan Defaults.  I don't believe there is any way to have the program use the wall center line by default.  You can also generate the living area polyline using the Make Living Area Polyline tool and then manually edit it as needed.

Some more information about the living area tools can be found here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00424/changing-how-square-footage-is-calculated.html

• Like 1