"add To Library As" Button, I Said As, As, As......

dshall

I just noticed this button.....   "ADD TO LIBRARY AS".

Do this,  open new plan,  put in base cabinet,  RIGHT CLICK on cabinet,  you will see two different options:

ADD TO LIBRARY

and

ADD TO LIBRARY AS

does anybody use the ADD TO LIBRARY AS button?  I have always used the ADD TO LIBRARY button......  

I have used that in the past for custom doors.

Really?  Why?  With cabinets it gives you the option to send to library as a CABINET MODULE or CABINET DOORS AND DRAWERS.

If you use if for a custom door,  what options does it give you?

Now that I think about it a little more I think one option adds the door PANEL to the library and the other adds the entire doorway (panel, casing, lintel, sill, hardware, etc.)

Okay,  I think I understand,  first,  if you are making a custom door out of PSOLIDS,  you must first turn it into a door symbol,  now you can send to to the LIBARARY AS something.......  I guess I get that.......  I suppose I was hoping or thinking that if you send it to library AS something,  CA would give you the opportunity to give it a NAME......  I hate adding something to the library and then having to go to library to NAME IT.

Why can't we NAME whatever we are saving to the library, before it gets to the library.  Think molding profile,  I create molding  profile and send to library and now I have to go to library to give it a name.....  if I don't do this,  the molding name is MOLDING.  

Do you know how many MOLDINGS I have in my library?  I have more moldings in my library than JC has years under his belt.....  we are talking hundreds......  love you JC.

Only a few Chief Objects have the "Add to Library As" button:

Doors -> Door or Doorway

Cabinets -> Cabinet Modules or Cabinet Doors/Drawers

I'm not sure what else - maybe the help file will say.  OK, I just checked and those are the only 2 listed.  Basically it says that where a Chief Object has other symbols inserted - you can Add either the entire Object or just the extra inserted object.

The way this works for example is that you can select a cabinet and save as "Cabinet Doors/Drawers" and what you have in the Library can be used as a Door or Drawer Front on other Cabinets instead of being the Cabinet itself (which is the default if you just use the "Add to Library" button.)