panoramic background picture orientation change?

dskogg

9 minutes ago, dskogg said:

I read post, I will try setting angle past 360 and see if it rotates image.

in pbr view the background is very bright.. any thoughts on how to make this better?

If you still have it at .68 exposure ( same plan as PBR door issue ?)  try 1/2 that   I normally use .3 to .4 and then adjust brightness if needed.

M.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

If you still have it at .68 exposure ( same plan as PBR door issue ?)  try 1/2 that   I normally use .3 to .4 and then adjust brightness if needed.

M.

I tried adding extra degrees to pano...in order to get the right view it duplicates some of the picture so then it is distorted..you would think adding say 90 degrees would rotate background 90 deg but it doesn't...I guess the only way is to rotate plan and make sure a levels are rotated exactly the same.

I had the sun set to light the pano instead of coming into room..this is why the pano was washed out...looks better now..but still distorted.

tn4 pano set at 850 degrees.jpg

tn4 with sun set at 330.jpg

I’m with Mark and feel like billboards are typically the way to go.  Here's another option in that regard.  The specifics are a little involved and I only have a couple minutes, but just make your own panoramic billboard backdrop.  Here are the key points:

• You'll need to know the height to width ratio of your panoramic image. 
  • Start with a cylinder, circular polyline solid, or whatever and create object to surround your building. 
  • Do the math to make sure the circumference and height match the aspect ratio of your image. 
  • Create a material using your panoramic image set to Stretch To Fit and use it to paint the panoramic billboard object you've created.
  • In order to make the image location on the object stable (in order to get a fully controllable orientation/rotation), you'll need to remove a sliver of your circular object so that there's a break in the perimeter.  In other words, its like a chain link and not like a wedding ring.  Just make that break super super small, put it at a location that will not likely be seen much, and it shouldn't hardly be noticeable.
  • You should be able to set the orientation by simply rotating the object.

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I’m with Mark and feel like billboards are typically the way to go.  Here's another option in that regard.  The specifics are a little involved and I only have a couple minutes, but just make your own panoramic billboard backdrop.  Here are the key points:

• You'll need to know the height to width ratio of your panoramic image. 
  • Start with a cylinder, circular polyline solid, or whatever and create object to surround your building. 
  • Do the math to make sure the circumference and height match the aspect ratio of your image. 
  • Create a material using your panoramic image set to Stretch To Fit and use it to paint the panoramic billboard object you've created.
  • In order to make the image location on the object stable (in order to get a fully controllable orientation/rotation), you'll need to remove a sliver of your circular object so that there's a break in the perimeter.  In other words, its like a chain link and not like a wedding ring.  Just make that break super super small, put it at a location that will not likely be seen much, and it shouldn't hardly be noticeable.
  • You should be able to set the orientation by simply rotating the object.

Thanks Michael.. I will try it out.. your instructions make sense.. cheers.

I was thinking there might be another solution but i am not very good at photoshop type manipulation, i have gimp for photo software...

What about cutting the pano and rearranging the cut piece to one side or the other so the view you want would be where it needs to be?

Does this make sense?

I need some help showing how to do this..if anyone has some time.

2 hours ago, dskogg said:

What about cutting the pano and rearranging the cut piece to one side or the other so the view you want would be where it needs to be?

Does this make sense?

That's how I use billboards. An image across a window or two, three... at most one leg of a building (but rarely) If there is a deck often need a different one beyond the deck.
I don't have Gimp loaded but (might get xNview MP-free) most often just click and drag a box then select crop OR select crop and click and drag a box-then save as, undo repeat on another area.

Should mention that billboards are also good for interior reno/addition where other rooms are nicely done to begin with.. Take a shot at the door way to other room, place billboard outside doorway (or pass through...) Eliminates the need to detail spaces where no work is being done.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dskogg said:

I was thinking there might be another solution but i am not very good at photoshop type manipulation, i have gimp for photo software...

Does this make sense?

This is a valid option and the typical way I would recommend doing it when you have multiple images, but if you have a true panoramic image, I’m not sure there would be any benefit.  It would take longer, require positioning multiple pieces, and would result in a whole bunch of visual seams that would need to be deliberately avoided with the camera.  The panoramic “billboard” would be a single object, position once, and for all intents and purposes...no seams.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

result in a whole bunch of visual seams that would need to be deliberately avoided with the camera.

I use billboards wider than the window(s) and slam them right up to it, as noted sometimes with decks they are on separate layer. In any case never have seams to deal with. Would breaking it be slower-dunno.

13 hours ago, dskogg said:

Does this make sense?

If you have Gimp then you could edit your pano so there's a new seam location which will be correctly oriented to your model at 0 degrees.  

• 2 months later...

I got a Ricoh Theta a while back and I guess I just got lucky with the orientation the first time when I was trying to create a spherical backdrop for a new custom home with an ocean view where I was hoping I could give the client an idea of what their view would be like at eye level on the second floor on a fairly steep lot.  I got a story pole with a camera mount on top and guesstimated the height to eye level on that floor.  You can operate the camera remotely with a smart phone app.

But, second time I didn't get lucky and my solution was taking a series of 360 panos rotating the story pole about 20 degrees at at time and then picking the image that most closely matched the actual view.  Not perfect, but with a lot of disclaimers to the client, there is a real wow factor to using this tool.

I logged a feature request to have the ability to orient the pano within Chief.  The more people that do this, the more likely they might do something about it.  Can't imagine this would be technically difficult, just a matter of getting it to bubble up on the priority list.

• 2 months later...
On 12/2/2019 at 5:03 PM, MarkMc said:

I use billboards wider than the window(s) and slam them right up to it, as noted sometimes with decks they are on separate layer. In any case never have seams to deal with. Would breaking it be slower-dunno.

What about sunlight? It blocks the light coming through the window. Do you illuminate the "billbord" at all?

9 hours ago, Kriska said:

What about sunlight? It blocks the light coming through the window. Do you illuminate the "billbord" at all?

Check your  sun settings, no issue with sunlight? .

image.thumb.png.dc6450ebe724a36266fff619e0c34415.png

• 6 months later...
On 5/2/2020 at 6:10 AM, MarkMc said:

Check your  sun settings, no issue with sunlight? .

image.thumb.png.dc6450ebe724a36266fff619e0c34415.png

How do you set this up where the sunlight is unaffected by the object in front of the window and, when the sun settings are set to allow this, does it create problems with other objects you do not want this effect on?

2 minutes ago, solver said:

Have you tried this setup yourself? Are you having a problem with the sunlight?

i have tried the "polyline solid in front of the window" trick and had the sunlight blocked. I do not know any other methods to accomplish this myself but from the picture it seems there is a workaround. I just dont know where to start in accomplishing it. Can that method also be applied to the "giant cylinder around the plan" trick so that the sun shines through it on a larger scale? Is there a "giant sphere around the plan trick" for a spherical image? I haven't heard anyone mention that one yet?

1 hour ago, solver said:

Mark mentioned using a Billboard -- you need to create a Billboard image.

While in plan view, Build>Image>Create Billboard Image

Choose an image file, click OK and then click to place in plan.

Got it, Thanks solver. Do you know if this method can be applied to a cylinder or a sphere?

• 10 months later...

I might have a solution to orient the 360 spherical.

I imported it and then guessed the amount it needed to rotate.

Then I opened the original JPEG with paint and cut the right side off and placed it to the left.

Let me knowf if it works for you.

To your success!

Paint.png