Why can't I pull dimensions in a wall framing detail?

GeneDavis

The only kind that works is point to point.  No end to end, no baseline, no running.  I can do it if I "kickstart" things by drawing a cad line and pulling a dimension from the CAD line, but without that kickstart, Chief CAD will not pull a dimension.

Try it yourself.  Draw a wall, frame it, open up the wall detail, and try drawing some stud to stud horizontal dimensions.

28 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

The only kind that works is point to point.  No end to end, no baseline, no running.  I can do it if I "kickstart" things by drawing a cad line and pulling a dimension from the CAD line, but without that kickstart, Chief CAD will not pull a dimension.

Try it yourself.  Draw a wall, frame it, open up the wall detail, and try drawing some stud to stud horizontal dimensions.

I believe Chopsaw may be pointing you in the right direction. I use this on every plan. Check your dimension defaults. And I'd recommend setting up a custom anno set for framing if you haven't done so already.

33 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

I'm doing it right now. It's got to be one of your settings.  Double check dimension defaults / Locate Objects, make sure framing is checked.

image.thumb.png.436123bf340af7ed9cee35069d028d30.png

2 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

How about if you select "Framing - Sides or Centers" ?

Framing sides needs to be on AFAIK , in the Dimension Default in Use .......are you switching to the Framing Dims? cos sides should be on by default if so.... but the Wall Detail may not switch automatically to a Framing Dimension Default.

M.

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

Well excuse me!  That was it!  But the big question remains, which is with the preference for framing find (edge or center) OFF, why does it start to find edges or centers when one begins a string using CAD lines?

That is what the dimension defaults do...    Give you a starting point.   By drawing cad lines you were giving the dimensions a starting point because your default most likely was set to locate cad.  Then you can always manually adjust the snaps regardless of what locates are set but a wall  detail only has framing unless you overlay a cad detail from view.

Try it yourself.  Go into a wall detail with whatever dimension default you want to use, turn off the framing finds, and you'll see you cannot get a dimension pulled.  Then draw two vertical parallel CAD lines and dimension with end to end or baseline.  Now pull OFF THAT dimension to snap dims to other points.  It'll find all the stud edges, when it would not before.  It's like the starter in making bread.

4 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Try it yourself.  Go into a wall detail with whatever dimension default you want to use, turn off the framing finds, and you'll see you cannot get a dimension pulled.  Then draw two vertical parallel CAD lines and dimension with end to end or baseline.  Now pull OFF THAT dimension to snap dims to other points.  It'll find all the stud edges, when it would not before.  It's like the starter in making bread.

Yes are you suggesting it could work a different way ?  If dimensions found everything on the page it would be quite a mess I am sure.

17 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

This is how all dimensions always work.  They obey the Locate Object settings only upon initial creation.  After that, they will snap to anything and everything.