Closed Risers on Exterior Stairs

wjmdes

Atlanta requires all risers closed or prevent a 4" sphere yadda yadda.  When the "OPEN RISERS" is unchecked in Chief, it looks like the attached images.  Chief adds a solid object to the bottom of the stringers, which is wrong.  Any idea how to fix this.

I did not catch this before and now I have to send a new drawing to a contractor so the inspector will not make him add plywood to the bottom of the exterior stairs.

254833985_Stairs3.thumb.JPG.241900630a980c8ee6cf13562d892e00.JPG1752866939_Stairs1.thumb.JPG.29f994cd7bd128d9b2d85e44543c39a9.JPG163550136_Stairs2.thumb.JPG.c50358827e5cbacc6e632bb010e813ee.JPG

5 minutes ago, tommy1 said:

Not a good answer but keep it with open risers and manually place risers with solids or something. Now you'll probably get the look you're looing for.

If that is the only answer then this would be a bug.......

5 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Bill,

You can define the 'underside' material as 'air gap insulation' which kinda works? Might be of some help.

That made the stringers disappear and if you rotate in 3d view, the side appears and disappears as you rotate.  Very odd.

1 hour ago, wjmdes said:

If that is the only answer then this would be a bug.......

It’s not a bug...it’s just how the software works.  You could have created the p-solid risers in less time it took you to ask the question. 

All that said...the stair tool in Chief is ridiculously weak...and I don’t see huge improvements on the horizon.  So...we will all be cursing this tool for some time to come. 

22 minutes ago, SNestor said:

It’s not a bug...it’s just how the software works.  You could have created the p-solid risers in less time it took you to ask the question. 

I looked at some of my older jobs and it use to produce the correct result.  It may not be a "Bug" per se, but it is incorrect although draw a stair, change the material of the underside to "air gap" and spin it 360 degrees.  That is a bug.

24 minutes ago, SNestor said:

You could have created the p-solid risers in less time it took you to ask the question. 

I do not have the time (nor should I have to) do all these little various extra things the program should be doing.  Bunch of "little" issues add up to a lot of time.  It is what it is.

Response from support:

Leaving Open Risers unchecked will cover the stringers and add a riser face. Unfortunately, because the underside and riser faces are tied together by that option, you'd need to have both on or neither of them on.

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

Still a little curious. Are you sending 3D images for your drawings? Or simple elevations? Elevations might be used with open risers and simply noted as closed in the drawing? Dunno if that will work for you. 3D images not so much...

It is an issue on elevations if there is a wall on the otherside..

1271375723_Stairinelevation.thumb.JPG.f9f732d33821b06d4adbea39105d3335.JPG

Probably be easier to tell the contractor to slap some plywood on the back and paint it :) 

26 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

If I wanted to draw everything by hand I would still be using AutoCad or just get the board out of the closet.

I think you will find the stair tool will make you want you to take a hammer to your computer.  It’s a tool that needs a complete overhaul.  :angry:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wjmdes said:

It is an issue on elevations if there is a wall on the otherside..

1271375723_Stairinelevation.thumb.JPG.f9f732d33821b06d4adbea39105d3335.JPG

Probably be easier to tell the contractor to slap some plywood on the back and paint it :) 

Yes, true, but it takes less than 40 seconds to place solid filled filler pieces to get the proper look. I learned many many years a go to stop fighting the way Chief works and find simple workarounds. Yes it's a work around and yes it did take 40 seconds and yes Chief's stair tools aren't that great but how hard do you want to fight Chief's shortcomings?

55 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Yes, true, but it takes less than 40 seconds to place solid filled filler pieces to get the proper look. I learned many many years a go to stop fighting the way Chief works and find simple workarounds. Yes it's a work around and yes it did take 40 seconds and yes Chief's stair tools aren't that great but how hard do you want to fight Chief's shortcomings?

Well put. I've been saying that for years.

49 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Yes, I understand how to do 2D drafting, for almost 40 years.  The reason I asked this question originally, is that 9 times out of 10 when I have an issue with Chief it is usually a simple "toggle" somewhere I am missing. In order to "fix" this for a "three-dimensional model" and work in both Elevation View and 3D views properly,  it takes just a little bit longer than 40 seconds.  Now that I have wasted several hours coming to that conclusion I know that is an issue I will need to contend with going forward.

2 hours ago, wjmdes said:

Yes, I understand how to do 2D drafting, for almost 40 years.  The reason I asked this question originally, is that 9 times out of 10 when I have an issue with Chief it is usually a simple "toggle" somewhere I am missing. In order to "fix" this for a "three-dimensional model" and work in both Elevation View and 3D views properly,  it takes just a little bit longer than 40 seconds.  Now that I have wasted several hours coming to that conclusion I know that is an issue I will need to contend with going forward.

Trust me I feel your pain. I did not come to the conclusions and fixes that I arrive at quickly. It's just that over 20 years with Chief and the pain as you describe I've found ways to survive the crazy that Chief can throw at its users. Best of luck...

"I looked at some of my older jobs and it use to produce the correct result."

I'm not sure how you were able to do this before since, as far as I know, the program has always worked this way.  You can either display open risers with stringers or you can display closed risers with the bottom covered.  There is no way currently to display the stringers and risers without the bottom.

I can think of a number of workarounds to get what you want but the basic problem is that the program won't do it automatically.  I would call this more of a limitation than a bug but if it's really something that you want changed, then you should probably submit a feature request.

26 minutes ago, Dermot said:

I'm not sure how you were able to do this before since, as far as I know, the program has always worked this way.

I've been using the program since V8 (base) and was never able to do this. Yes, at one time, there was a version 8 base. Didn't take long to upgrade to full version once I learned the limitations.