Multi Unit # show up on layout page

nancyscial

I would like it on the layout page for each plan. If I save a plan labeled unit 101  how can I have that name get rated on my layout page somewhere.  I could possibly need to make 200 units. So I need to find the easiest way for it to show up.  I cannot open each plan and add it manually. 

7 hours ago, nancyscial said:

Nothing seems to generate the plan file name to the layout page. 

20 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

How about using the %referenced_filename% macro in the layout box label ?

That is exactly what this is meant to do..   Reference the file name that the layout box is using.

1 hour ago, nancyscial said:

didn't work.  I'm not sure this can happen.

Is it working now ?   There are two methods that have been presented.  Solver's works by using the %file.name% macro in a text box of each plan file.  The one I suggested works by referencing that same information from the layout file by placing the %referenced_filename% macro in the label of the Layout Box.

If you need a different solution please explain where these solutions are failing for you.

8 minutes ago, nancyscial said:

Thank you both for your answers.  I have created 17 copies of the same kitchen type. I opened one type and wanted the file name (type 1-unit 102) show up in the text box of the layout page.  see attached. 

I like screen shots.  Thank You.   For that to work automatically you will need to use the method I described and select the layout box label and rotate it and move it over to your title block.  Once you do this you can copy and paste hold position the layout box with it's label to another page of layout and then just change the file association for the layout box by going to Tools> Layout> Reference Plan Files.  This should save some time in sending 200 units to layout from 200 different plan files.  Hope this helps on such a big project :)

Again Screen shots are Great because they show everything.  Once you have your first Kitchen set up just the way you want it on page 1 of layout not page 0 as your screen shot shows.  Just select the layout box on page 0 and CTRL + X  then change to page 1 and CTRL + ALT + V.

Then next time CTRL + C and change to page 2 then CTRL + ALT + V.    Leave page 0 blank except for your title block and anything else you want to show up on every single page of layout.

Then select the layout box for page 2 and then use the Relink File tool on the Active Toolbar 1350826882_RelinkFileTool.jpg.8c593d54a1256de731a7db123b06d35f.jpg and change the file association for the layout box to the next Unit's plan file.   ( Sorry the previous instructions for this were misleading. I sent you to where the referenced plan files are shown and can be edited but not added like you need to do for setup. ) This should allow you to do all the layout setup without actually having to reopen each individual plan file.

Continue on to #200.

Alternately if you need to use the layout box label for other purposes you could place the %referenced_filename% macro into a text box with leader line set to a blank line style and arrow attached to the layout box set to use the straight line arrow style and get the same result.  Just a little trickier to select it all to copy and paste but in other ways simpler than using the layout box label.

There are other much more automated ways of setting this particular scenario up so that a person could still use their layout box label for other purposes and that don't require a text box with arrow either.  Again, it wouldn't be free, but shoot me over an email or PM and I can help you set something up.