options on cut at ends of exterior molding?

DianeP

2 minutes ago, tommy1 said:

You could always do a polyline solid in an elevation. Shape it as you like at the bottoms.

True, but that takes more time to get it right.  I may have to resort to that if an answer doesn't come in while I am working on other parts of the project.  Just would rather have options available on how the molding is cut. 

3 hours ago, DianeP said:

Is there a way to have the exterior molding to have a plumb cut or ,alternatively, a horizontal cut that follows the beam line?  I drew a line and  changed it into a 3d molding polyline.   

image.png

I just did a quick drawing...I'm using a "frieze" board...and letting Chief place automatically.  Seems to work fine.  

Why do it manually?

2019-11-24_13-35-45.thumb.png.75c16ddb8c33ef14abcfd133652acd9b.png 2019-11-24_13-37-39.thumb.png.b3479ade9bccea7682f0a02b010251a0.png

2 hours ago, DianeP said:

True, but that takes more time to get it right.

Well, the time you spent creating the image showing the problem and the time you spent typing these posts, you could have done it using solids. Just a thought. I have done this many times and it really doesn't take that much time.

This is much the same as what 7654321 did, but doesn't just bury the last molding in the roof.

Add another molding polyline section to the bottom end of the 3D Molding Polyline and uncheck Molding On Selected Edge.

You can now finish the molding to any angle by rotating that section of the polyline.

The angle at the end of the polyline bisects the angle between the 2 sections of polyline.

Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 8.39.32 am.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, tommy1 said:

Well, the time you spent creating the image showing the problem and the time you spent typing these posts, you could have done it using solids. Just a thought. I have done this many times and it really doesn't take that much time.

You are correct and solids may be the way I end up going.  Since I had time and other work to do, I want to learn if there is a way that is available using the moldings.  I love learning shortcuts and this is the place to find them.  Hope you Thanksgiving week is terrific!

6 hours ago, SNestor said:

I just did a quick drawing...I'm using a "frieze" board...and letting Chief place automatically.  Seems to work fine.  

Why do it manually?

2019-11-24_13-35-45.thumb.png.75c16ddb8c33ef14abcfd133652acd9b.png 2019-11-24_13-37-39.thumb.png.b3479ade9bccea7682f0a02b010251a0.png

For me, sometimes the frieze boards show up and sometimes they don't or are only partially there.  I am super happy that most of the gables have the auto frieze working properly,  That just leaves the two front gables for me to deal with, thankfully.

1 hour ago, DianeP said:

For me, sometimes the frieze boards show up and sometimes they don't or are only partially there. 

I find this sometimes to be true also. Diane, I'm sure you'll get it done one way or another. As we have been saying for years, there's generally more than one way to do things in Chief. Just do what works best for you.