Changing Layout sheet size after plans are finished

Evolution

This project was set up for paper size Super B 13X19 (because I can print that here in this office for ready check). The client (builder) has decided he wants me to change my layout sheet size to Arch D 24X36, so his subs could read and scale the drawings. I wasn't sure I did this right (after reading what few post I could find), I opened my layout>page "0" reset the print to page size to Arch "D" 24X36, which of course changed how my layout template set to 13X19 fits. I then edited my borders and title block etc., to fit the new layout size.  I then went to each additional sheet that I had added notes, additional info for title block, most everything else fit the new paper size ok.  I can't print a trial drawing but the PDF's I printed with the new sheet size appear to be ok. Does the method I used make sense? I'll send him the PDF set of construction drawings, and he can have them printed. I had previously set up a layout template formatted to Arch "D" but I wasn't sure how to get all my plans and details transferred to the new layout template, since you can only have one layout open at any given time? 

Changing sheet size.png

That seems like you did not miss anything Bob.   If you think you may be doing that a lot in the future you could format for 12 x 18 and then just tweak some of your scale indicators and print at 2x for Arch D.   Also possible to have more than one title block/border per layout file using layout anno sets.

Also it is possible to open more than one layout but you must be careful and it is not a recommended thing to do.  Bad things can happen. :(

• Upvote 1

I agree with Chop in that the most common sizes of layouts I use are Letter, tabloid, 18x24, 24x36 and occasionally 36x48, What I did was to create my own customized templates for those sizes. On occasion, I just open the current layout and resize the "Drawing Sheet" (File - Print - Drawing Sheet set up) to the size I now wish to use and then quickly rearrange the text and scalng for the new larger or smaller size, whichever method seems best at the time.

DJP

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

That seems like you did not miss anything Bob.   If you think you may be doing that a lot in the future you could format for 12 x 18 and then just tweak some of your scale indicators and print at 2x for Arch D.   Also possible to have more than one title block/border per layout file using layout anno sets.

Also it is possible to open more than one layout but you must be careful and it is not a recommended thing to do.  Bad things can happen. :(

Thanks Chop and David.  It seemed to work ok, but I just wasn't sure if his subs will be able to "scale" anything accurately.  I usually include in my notes "DO NOT SCALE DRAWINGS"  "NOT RESPONSIBLE ERRORS CAUSED BY THE USER ASSUMING OR SCALING MEASUREMENTS". Generally the sub can find the info he needs, and can ask questions when he can't find what he needs (RFI).

4 hours ago, Evolution said:

"NOT RESPONSIBLE ERRORS CAUSED BY THE USER ASSUMING OR SCALING MEASUREMENTS"

Then why offer plans at all? I usually say that "dimensions should be determined or veriefied in the field"

Anyone who is so unimaginative or inexperienced that would slavishly follow plans and not their common sense deserves whatever they get.

DJP

What scale are your floor plans at the Super B layout page size?

What scale are they at the Arch D page size?

Did you rework all your annotation to be scaled right for the larger layout page size?  Whether I am printing at letter size or Arch Whatever, I want my letters and numbers 3/32" high.

What would carpenters need to know that they would scale from a print?  Please be specific, because scaling seems so archaic in this age of digital plans-making.  The only thing I can think of is "where does this interior door go?"  My interior doors are either (T) for tight, or located with a dimension if not tight.  "Tight" means "you guys figure it out from however you are going to case the framed opening.  That casing edge should be maybe 1/8" off the sheetrock."

11 hours ago, raltd9245 said:

I set all my layouts at "D" size and then use chiefs half size plot to a PDF. I now have d size and a pdf that I can print at 13X19 and get a 1/8" check set. Works well.

1 hour ago, Rpadge said:

I do the same

I do something similar myself except I have my full size layout template set up to print at 18x24 and print 1/2 scale check

plots at 9-1/2x11.  Seems to work well for most average sized residential plans.

On 11/23/2019 at 12:07 PM, raltd9245 said:

I set all my layouts at "D" size and then use chiefs half size plot to a PDF. I now have d size and a pdf that I can print at 13X19 and get a 1/8" check set. Works well.

Haven't thought of this. I'll give it a try. I did get all my layout sheets updated to 24X36 and it didn't take much effort.  This suggestion sounds like the way to go for all future projects.

4 hours ago, dshall said:

but I do not think it I as easy to go from 12x18 to 24x36

actually the old trick with Home Designer Pro, which has (had?) a 12" x18" max size was to print 1/8th scaled PDFs at 200% for 1/4" on 24 x 36

I also use Ansi D (22 x 34) at times , so I can do 1/2 scale plots at 11x17 and have it scale properly. 

( Arch D on an 11 x17 page means the print is only about 46% , so not a true 1/2 scale)

M.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

actually the old trick with Home Designer Pro, which has (had?) a 12" x18" max size was to print 1/8th scaled PDFs at 200% for 1/4" on 24 x 36

I also use Ansi D (22 x 34) at times , so I can do 1/2 scale plots at 11x17 and have it scale properly. 

( Arch D on an 11 x17 page means the print is only about 46% , so not a true 1/2 scale)

M.

I missed the 200%....  I will look again...  it only makes sense.