Wall Framing in layout

Evolution

Scott Harris does a great job in these training video's whilst they are designed for the Professional user (in my humble opinion) the ordinary user (one who does not make their living using the software) at least for me, miss the important details (they may be subliminally placed) the specific tools. Scott uses the Back Clip wall camera very well, and it looks easy (if you know how you need to set it up to get the results he does?)

I know I'm leaving myself open for negative criticism, and I'm not being critical of the training videos. The Lake Point and Grandview videos Scott did are really great, and If I could get the same results after watching them both (really) a couple hours the last two nights, I still can't get the tools he used to work for me the way he did. :(

My client on this project is also the Contractor building his new home to live in, and (ask Glenn Woodward) I always seem to get the complicated projects. He is about to let the permit drawings out to his lumber supplier and framers for pricing and asked me to detail exterior walls and some interior walls in particular for their use.  I've improvised putting a few together but I know if I could figure out what I'm missing setting the tools up to use properly, it would be faster than copying and pasting the different wall framing elevations into one large elevation. So bad mouth me if you must, but if you can point me in the right direction I would love to learn the correct way to do this. BTW, I'm framing the walls the way he wants (says his crews are accustomed to, framing them).

Thanks in advance to those of you who have mercy on me!:( ( he said holding his breath while he hit the submit key)!

FRONT ELEVATION.png

They build those walls one at a time, so I give them each elevation, and show where the on-center layout origin is, plus other details.  Here is an example.

They use the floor plans to locate the window and door openings, and the interior wall junctions.  Wall heights are in the building section views.2019-11-21_1412.thumb.png.f0908ed6d3a27ce8dcbb27ff64692ff8.png

Why not create a framing overview...select 3D in the top menu bar...choose an elevation (like right side, or left side).  Then, create a "cad detail from view"...and edit and annotate.  

Just a quick idea...I've actually never done this before...but give it a try and let us know if it works for you. 

2019-11-21_14-57-31.thumb.png.65a7d4f70531c3d59bf39f2dac738863.png

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Why not create a framing overview...select 3D in the top menu bar...choose an elevation (like right side, or left side).  Then, create a "cad detail from view"...and edit and annotate.  

Just a quick idea...I've actually never done this before...but give it a try and let us know if it works for you. 

2019-11-21_14-57-31.thumb.png.65a7d4f70531c3d59bf39f2dac738863.png

Steve, I had actually thought about that, but hadn't tried it.  I've nothing to lose but (a little) time

Just now, solver said:

Bob did not say, but it looks like he is trying to do multiple walls at once -- doesn't the Wall Detail tool only do a single wall?

I noticed that and you're correct. There's no reason hecan't draw it as an elevation (I have a setup for that), but I'd suggest that it's much more practical to provide the drawings using the wall detail tools for a few reasons:

-an elevation view will perform slower assuming you keep it live, and really, why wouldn't you keep it live?

-the elevation view of all floors will limit space for dimensions and notes

-there's no need to show them together, unless the framer's got some cool trick for building them both at the same time 

so...

-the wall detail is faster, 

-cad tools are available to edit live framing members quickly

-easier to add notes and dimensions. etc

-easy to create a logical hierarchy of placement in the drawing set that should reasonably match the order of operations on site

-wall details can be named to match the layout drawing numbers for easy drawing coordination

-schedules are available for the wall detail view essentially providing a cutlist with almost no effort for you or the builder

Just my suggestions! 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, solver said:

Bob -- help us by saying what you need to do and what you cannot figure out.

----

Take a back clipped cross section. Switch to the 3D Framing layer set.

ct1.thumb.png.b434b007053ac6ad8b1360545e8c41f9.png

Eric, what I need to do is what I've done, but I did it by piecing / pasting, the different framing wall details.

5 minutes ago, solver said:

Bob did not say, but it looks like he is trying to do multiple walls at once -- doesn't the Wall Detail tool only do a single wall?

that's correct Eric, and I can do wall details all day long with no issues, edit them modify the framing etc., that is what I started out with but the client didn't want his framer jumping from page to page to see one wall at time and BTW, don't usually have to provide so much detail ( at least for local codes here) is just for him and his crews and suppliers to bid by.

I think for the time being I'll just move on the way I'm currently doing it, since it works for him. 

FRONT ELEVATION.png

2 hours ago, Evolution said:

I think for the time being I'll just move on the way I'm currently doing it, since it works for him. 

Bob it looks like you are well beyond the auto frame stage so don't hesitate to hand draw what you need if it is more convenient or accurate than pasting things together.  It can go relatively easily with multi copy tools etc. Just delete any duplicated areas and retain any walls or framing you do manually.  You could actually do everything you pasted together on one detail if you like.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, solver said:

Sometimes I find it extremely handy when manually modifying wall framing to cut from one wall detail and paste hold position into another in order to combine walls.  Of course, I only do this if automatic framing is either turned off or retaining wall framing is checked in the walls in question.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Sometimes I find it extremely handy when manually modifying wall framing to cut from one wall detail and paste hold position into another in order to combine walls.  Of course, I only do this if automatic framing is either turned off or retaining wall framing is checked in the walls in question.

Thanks Michael.  I almost forgot that was an option after trying the same thing in a Truss Detail and making one huge mess.  I really wish they had the same features.

3 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Thanks Michael.  I almost forgot that was an option after trying the same thing in a Truss Detail and making one huge mess.  I really wish they had the same features.

Yeah, truss details are totally different. There’s really only one truss detail.