Frameless shower door with barn style hardware

carowe

I have been struggling to do a frameless glass bypass shower door with barn door style hardware.  I tried using the barn door and changing the door to a glass panel, but cannot configure another glass panel on the hardware. Does anyone have suggestions on how to do this?  Thx in advance!

23 minutes ago, carowe said:

I have been struggling to do a frameless glass bypass shower door with barn door style hardware.  I tried using the barn door and changing the door to a glass panel, but cannot configure another glass panel on the hardware. Does anyone have suggestions on how to do this?  Thx in advance!

How about a picture to help us all out? 

I gather you are trying to have the sliding panel mounted with wheels on the top of the glass panel and sliding along a bar type track?  

Maybe like this?

2019-11-20_17-23-48.thumb.png.59c007d6ce0e39eece1b266507eebda7.png

20 hours ago, DzinEye said:

You should be able to do it by first building a glass wall all the way across your opening, then placing your glass barn door into the glass wall.

Glass barn doors won't work...the track is above the door opening...and, if you make it 60" wide you will get two doors...one 30" door on each side.  Maybe I'm missing something...if so, let me know.

3 hours ago, SNestor said:

Glass barn doors won't work...the track is above the door opening...and, if you make it 60" wide you will get two doors...one 30" door on each side.  Maybe I'm missing something...if so, let me know.

Yep... you're missing something...  ;)    Under 'options' you can constrain to a single door panel of any size just as with any other door.
Not quite sure why you mention it won't work because the 'track is above the door opening' ?... barn door track hardware is supposed to be above the door opening.  Usually there's just a small guide at the bottom.   Ahh wait... now I see what you're talking about... in the example photo the track is below the door top. 

17 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Yep... you're missing something...  ;)    Under 'options' you can constrain to a single door panel of any size just as with any other door.
Not quite sure why you mention it won't work because the 'track is above the door opening' ?... barn door track hardware is supposed to be above the door opening.  Usually there's just a small guide at the bottom.

The glass wall and a barn door does work...sort of.  

Using a glass wall and a barn door works if both ends are enclosed by walls...but, if you have a glass shower pony wall like shown in the pics below...the corner becomes an issue because the glass wall (for the door) won't join with the glass pony wall at the corner properly.  Well...I've found it difficult.  Maybe it's possible...

If you use a "fixture" like the one I created (attached below)...you can use a room divider to enclose the shower room and then drop the fixture into the opening.  It works well...and the door looks similar to the picture of a shower door that I posted above.  

Glass Shower Door Fixture:  Glass Shower Door Fixed.calibz

Pics - Glass wall and Barn Door

2019-11-21_23-44-13.thumb.png.24e57306fd2bb68c568efa5615c14aa8.png 2019-11-21_23-43-46.thumb.png.802524d9cca30cbb737f50ce6dcb2ef5.png

Pics - Door is a "Fixture"

2019-11-22_00-05-37.thumb.png.772582013668234ae8367db36ed341be.png 2019-11-22_00-05-25.thumb.png.75ea0504c69dcb2cc2c852f01af41624.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1