Opinions about Brick Pony wall method

Renerabbitt

I've got a set of PDF's I'll be converting for a house that has 8 different elevations of stone/brick veneer. I was going to go the CA pony wall route, but thought twice and now I'm thinking maybe for this project a wall material region would be much faster.

Haven't given it much thought but are their any known cons to going the material region route?

I will not be needing the foundation to be accurate as I know the frustration of trying to wrangle the stem walls into submission will drive me to a cad detail/p-solid method.

Openings typically aren’t a problem.  Mostly just the outside corners.  One thing I do from time to time is use a single click material region or custom backsplash to get the shape and then convert to plain polyline>convert to polyline solid >add any necessary cutouts manually.

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Openings typically aren’t a problem

That has been my experience too , for the exterior Corners you can make a P-Solid ( eg 3"x3") with the same Brick material set to the MR Thickness and manually slide/bump it into the Corner "notch", then adjust material definition if needed to match up mortar lines. 

I use this trick sometimes on Tile MRs eg wainscotting in a bathroom, so assume it would work for this too.

Little more info in this thread..... scroll Up too....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/23372-material-region-outside-corner-issue/?tab=comments#comment-189442

M. 

18 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

I've got a set of PDF's I'll be converting for a house that has 8 different elevations of stone/brick veneer. I was going to go the CA pony wall route, but thought twice and now I'm thinking maybe for this project a wall material region would be much faster.

Haven't given it much thought but are their any known cons to going the material region route?

I will not be needing the foundation to be accurate as I know the frustration of trying to wrangle the stem walls into submission will drive me to a cad detail/p-solid method.

I do pony walls like this all the time using "walls"...not material regions and don't have any problems.  Yes...the foundations can be quirky...but, it doesn't take long to force them into submission.  Seems like wall material regions would be just as much trouble given the fact they don't join at corners.