Best practice for annotating CAD details?

GeneDavis

How have you set up Anno Sets and Layer Sets for a.} drawing CAD in a CAD detail window, and b.) annotating (i.e. dimensioning, text, arrows, markers, whatever).

My near-OOB setup has the Anno Sets tool in the bar, but is not displaying which anno set is in play, nor is the layer set tool even there.

The problem I have is that when initiating a new CAD detail, that detail inherits the layerset and anno set from the plan window one was in when one selected CAD Details, and I don't see a way to change it when in the CAD detail.

My CAD details are usually at one of the scales larger than 1/4", and whether I am going with 1/2", 3/4", 1" or maybe even 1-1/2" = 1.-0", I cannot really establish it until I view the density of the info in a detail sent to layout.  So I start with 3/4", usually.

I can readily annotate a CAD detail, but I then have to edit the anno down from the king sized 1/4" scale anno.

What am I missing?

Sounds like at the very least you need to goto >Customise Toolbars>CAD Detail>Toolbar    and turn some of the missing Dropdowns like Annosets, layersets and dimension Defaults on  ....if there is no option for that you'll need to add them 1st back on the Tools Tab.

image.thumb.png.24920bd82e82478b4f45f419322a186e.png

I figured I could do that, but how does one set an annoset to a CAD detail that sticks?  Chief keeps popping back to the annoset that came from the view I was in when I chose to create a CAD detail.

Chief seems to ignore this in their training video.

All I want to do and cannot, readily, is have dimensions, arrows, and text be drawn in at whatever scale I have chosen for my detail.  I can edit the anno that I create (which comes in at the 1/4" scale size) to what I want, but I want the creation of such anno in my detail to be what I want.  

7 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

I figured I could do that, but how does one set an annoset to a CAD detail that sticks

I don't , as you can see in my pic above I just switch to the 1/2" or 1" etc Annotation Set from the Annotation drop down, it sounds like that dropdown and the layerset one are missing on your Toolbars in the CAD Detail Window for some reason..... not sure if they are just not active in the CAD Detail Configuration or something else is up?

I just added the Dimension Default dropdown earlier so I could get a pic for you as the other two were already there....

M.

Thanks.  I popped those three control dropdowns onto my CAD detail config, and it's interesting.  Since I had commanded for CAD Detail from a view that had a forced layerset via the annoset spec (meaning a specified layerset rather than the passive "using active layerset") I could only FORCE the CAD detail config the way I wanted by FIRST commanding the layerset, then the dimension default, and finally, the annoset.  Trying annoset first did not work.  I had been snapping back to my framing layerset because of the hard annoset for framing that specified the framing layerset.

2019-11-18_2316.png

12 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Thanks.  I popped those three control dropdowns onto my CAD detail config, and it's interesting.  Since I had commanded for CAD Detail from a view that had a forced layerset via the annoset spec (meaning a specified layerset rather than the passive "using active layerset") I could only FORCE the CAD detail config the way I wanted by FIRST commanding the layerset, then the dimension default, and finally, the annoset.  Trying annoset first did not work.  I had been snapping back to my framing layerset because of the hard annoset for framing that specified the framing layerset.

2019-11-18_2316.png

I have not run into this issue myself and use locked Annosets>layers etc too, but that maybe coincidental here , perhaps you need a New Cad Detail Annoset with layerset locked to it too?

M.