How To Create A Roof on the 1st Level (below 2nd Story)

akabuilder

I often have trouble drawing a roof that is below another roof, i.e. on a 2nd  or 3rd story house. If i use "Build Roof Planes", the roof planes keep will build on the upper floor even though i am working on the 1st Level. They attach to the upper story roof instead of a 1st story roof plane. How do I correct this? In this instance I  have a deck and  entry door at a split level and this is where I would like the roof to appear over.

>I often have trouble drawing a roof that is below another roof, i.e. on a 2nd  or 3rd story house. If i use "Build Roof Planes", the roof planes keep will build on the upper floor even though i am working on the 1st Level. 

Like Solver stated roof builds everywhere where it is needed.

In this instance I  have a deck and  entry door at a split level and this is where I would like the roof to appear over.

Sometimes it is easier to just start drawing a roof plane by pressing Q key. 

You can 

1) make baseline polynine, to make polyline and give roof builder the direction to build/rebuild roofs.

2) for your front porch you can section off the area you want to have roof, and open this room and specify roof over this room.

3) Or my preference: press Q, set  1 st point outside the deck corner post, drag cursor along the stairs to specify how wide your roof plane should be click, now draw toward the house [final click]. All it takes 3 clicks [5 seconds tops]

BTW: It is very discouraged to have a deck over any living space.

13 hours ago, akabuilder said:

How do I correct this?

As Tommy said and I agree, learn the tools, dialog boxes, settings of Chief and use it as a tool, and not a misunderstood "partner", this is NOT "rocket science". I gave up waiting for Chief to "do" things long ago and just caused them as I needed and wanted.

DJP

Here is what I do...

I layout the first floor...obviously....and when I am ready for the second floor, I set the second floor ceiling height to the height I want my knee walls. In this sample I set them to 54". So that means my entire second floor will have 54" ceiling heights, and that is OK with me. 

Now, when I am ready to start laying out my rooms up there, I TURN OFF auto roof build. Now I can move those ceiling heights up to 97" and my roof stays where it's suppose to be.

pic 1.jpg

pic 2.jpg

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, joey_martin said:

Here is what I do...

I layout the first floor...obviously....and when I am ready for the second floor, I set the second floor ceiling height to the height I want my knee walls. In this sample I set them to 54". So that means my entire second floor will have 54" ceiling heights, and that is OK with me. 

Now, when I am ready to start laying out my rooms up there, I TURN OFF auto roof build. Now I can move those ceiling heights up to 97" and my roof stays where it's suppose to be.

pic 1.jpg

pic 2.jpg

Listen to Joey...he knows what he’s doing.  Great tip Joey...

On 11/17/2019 at 6:11 AM, joey_martin said:

Here is what I do...

pic 1.jpg

pic 2.jpg

Yup.  This is a very good method.  In addition, I also use the ceiling height on attic levels again at a third height for temporary purposes in order to use the Ceiling Break Lines to show where my usable ceiling height areas are when laying out bathrooms, cabinetry, etc.  Once things are positioned I move ceilings back up to where they should be.