Is this roof OK?

BrownTiger

You've got the main house roof down pretty well, low pitch hip roof with large overhangs.

Style-wise the shed roof deck cover roofs do not suit a truly 'Prairie Style' house if that's important to you.

If acceptable try flat roofs, or even consider raising the plate/roof on the bedroom/pool bath wing to 10' or so and carrying that roof over the deck area. You can frame a lower ceiling in the bedroom/pool bath rooms if preferable even though the plate is high.  

• Upvote 1

I agree that the covered patio roof area looks a little off for that style of home.  Have you considered as was mentioned lowering it to a 2.5:12 pitch and pitching it away from the house instead of side to side.  It should connect properly and have a very small cricket roof to make sure that it drains properly.  Just a thought without getting into the plan.

• Upvote 1

Thank you

My learning more complicated roofs.

CoPlanarPlanes.thumb.PNG.b523c68b885d692f9cc84b97b0743b8a.PNG

My difficulty were two coplanar roof planes that would not align for nothing. Same pitch same everything, yet no command to set them at the same height. If I try joining them: CA states that it can not: duh! they are both 1/4 pitch, never going to intersect.

I am going to try a different patio/pool deck area for fun. Just need to find some cool pictures....

Thank you.

21 minutes ago, BrownTiger said:

My difficulty were two coplanar roof planes that would not align for nothing.

Use polyline union while in plan view.  Not so sure the Join Roof Planes tool was ever intended to connect co-planar surfaces since they have an infinite number of intersection points.  Also, don't forget...It's not called Combine Roof Planes.