Difference Appearance in Section vs. Layout

kwhitt

I have a section view using vector with shadows.  When I save and update the view, the layout does not show the shadows nor the roof label - images attached.  I'd appreciate any advice on this.  If necessary, I can upload the layout and plan.  Thanks.

in section.jpg

in layout.jpg

I have three sections on page 4 of the layout.  One of the three (middle) shows correctly with shadows and roof pitch label.  Is this happening because I have more than one layout box on this page?  The file is attached if someone would please take a look.  

CHF.rar

Perry - thanks for the reply.  They are checked in all three layout boxes and only one shows the shadows and roof pitch labels.  Further, they show up fine in the cross-section - just not in the layout.

show shadows.jpg

Kevin,  you are limiting how many people will download and look at your plan file by posting .rar rather than .zip which more people know what to do with.

However your second screen shot appears to be plot lines and I am not sure they support shadows.

• Like 1

Chopsaw - didn't realize .rar files weren't as commonly used nowadays.  I have attached as a .zip.  You are correct - these are plot lines (all three of the layout boxes are) and the middle elevation shows the shadows just fine.  It's got to be something else.  I'd appreciate you having a look at P-4 of the layout.

CHF_Chin_Proposed_11-13-19.zip

Kevin,  I was able to get the roof labels to show by setting them to "Show in this View" and then sending to layout again which seems neither of those two actions should be necessary.  No luck with the shadows though.  Maybe a sun angle thing.

I would send both items to tech support unless you get a good answer before tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Your plan has been corrupted.  The problems are all being caused by a couple poly-line solids that are like 280 billion miles (not exaggerating) away from your building.  Find them, delete them, and you should be back in business.

Very nice Michael,  The new warning lets you know there is an issue but is not very helpful in resolving it. I had not seen that one before.  I got 279,418,127,752.893 Miles and 3 Inches but I will give it to you this time.  I think that breaks my record as I did not quite make it to the Moon.

Cad Default Rogue Items.jpg

Refreshed Elevations.JPG

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys.  I very much appreciate it. I remember seeing that warning until I clicked to ignore it.  How does something like this happen and how do I fix it?  I went back to the working plan and selected all.  I then selected fill window and scrolled down for about 5 minutes until giving up.  Chopsaw was able to zoom in on the problem area - I can't seem to get there.  At least I now know why the shadows aren't showing up.  If you can give me any advice on how to remove the corrupt CAD lines, I'd be grateful.  Kevin

6 hours ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks guys.  I very much appreciate it. I remember seeing that warning until I clicked to ignore it.  How does something like this happen and how do I fix it?  I went back to the working plan and selected all.  I then selected fill window and scrolled down for about 5 minutes until giving up.  Chopsaw was able to zoom in on the problem area - I can't seem to get there.  At least I now know why the shadows aren't showing up.  If you can give me any advice on how to remove the corrupt CAD lines, I'd be grateful.  Kevin

You have the right idea but because of the distance it does not seem to work well.  I ended up turning off everything but Cad Default and then CTRL + A and selected and isolated the few items that were actually in your build area and put them on their own temporary layer, then once they are all turned off I did a CTRL + A  and Fill Window.

Be sure you find 2 Polyline solids as going back to try it again they were not displaying properly as they did the first time for some reason but a big marque selection seems to get them or the original CTRL + A.

As to how it happens it would be great if once you find the items possibly you could recall loosing them at some point during the build possibly on a centering or reflecting operation ?  It seems to happen occasionally to inexperienced users in messy situations but if someone could put their finger on why it would be quite helpful to a lot of users if there was a way for Chief to prevent this type of thing.

40 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

As to how it happens it would be great if once you find the items possibly you could recall loosing them at some point during the build possibly on a centering or reflecting operation ?  It seems to happen occasionally to inexperienced users in messy situations but if someone could put their finger on why it would be quite helpful to a lot of users if there was a way for Chief to prevent this type of thing.

I find this to be quite a fascinating problem!  As far as I know, I've never had anything get nearly that far out of the world, but I've definitely found a few things far enough away that I could no longer see my model when zoomed out to find them.   How these things happen is likely due to a number of different reasons. 

I think the easiest way to address it would be if Chief could provide some kind of 'world' size limitations set in preferences that users could set at some rational limitation.  I'd guess that 99.99% of users would be well suited by limitations of a kilometer or less.   This has been a preferences setting in Acad for as far back as I can remember.

2 quick tips:

1. In my experience and in my opinion these things are usually the result of either bad imported DWG information or polyline solids that were drawn in anything other than plan or elevation/section.  DWG files seem to contain objects way off in space all the time, and if a person isn’t careful or doesn’t realize what they’re doing, it can be really easy to draw a polyline solid way off in the background when doing so in a 3D orthographic or perspective camera view.  

2.  To find and delete errant objects, it can be as easy as All On Layerset>Select All>De-select the good stuff>Delete.  Fill Window and isolating layer could optionally be squeezed

in there too.  Kinda depends.